driving ascot to north carolina

captden29

we call our 54 windsor sedan ascot because that is the shade of grey it is from the color chart.anyway, i am going to drive it from long island,ny to wilmington,nc next week. it is an all original car with 106,000 miles and is in good running condition. new hoses,belts,tune up,all new brakes 2 years ago,good tires, oil change& lube, etc. i have been driving the car around alot lately and the only problem i have is it will run hot when stopped in traffic. i know the old honeycomb radiator is not that good although it has been cleaned and tested. the car did run cooler when i had the re-core in it but that radiator is now in my convertible. the car will stay at a slightly cooler temp at 40 mph,than at 60 mph, but not overheating. anyway, other than carrying the usual extra fluids does anyone have any tips for a long drive with an old car. i did put a pusher fan in front of the radiator. thanks in advance for any advice. dennis

you may have a plus with the cooler temps this time of year..if it starts to creep up in temp..turn on your heater..this will do a job helping to maintian temp..if a bit unfoncoratble you have the vent to open to help adjust inside temp..luck to you..I would carry at least 2 gal of 50/50 and a bit of oil. Is your water pump is one with a grease fitting and has it been serviced..a spare fan belt is always a good idea..

drive carefully..

One thing I like to make sure of on a car like this is the front inner and outer wheel bearings. I like to be sure they are greased and have good seals. Sometimes on a long road trip, they can heat up and get destroyed if not properly lubed. That can be a real pain and I speak from experience. Good luck to you and have a great trip.

John R:p

Check the simple things that could bite you like points, plugs, lube etc. take some extra parts as suggested and don't drive or push it like its a 2007 model. My motto is "I've got a cell phone and AAA, I'll make it one way or another".

Good luck a drive safe.

At least a small box of tools with basic stuff that might help with a minor repair. I carry an extra quart or two of oil. I like to take some rain-x in case of rain, as my wipers don't do such a great job. Hopefully you won't need any of this stuff.....good luck on your journey.

There are several chemicals cooling system aditives that will help hold the temperature down on the market. You can pick these up at your local parts store. They do work. Have a great trip!! These older cars ride soooooo smooth!!

If you make it from shakey land to here..you deserve a cup of good coffee...in our small town we have county water but wait, it is from our own 165 foot well and serves just us..good part is that it makes the best coffee going and was rated number three best tasting water in the NATION...now I am sure there are still alot of people with private wells with excellent water..just that this is still a county utiltiy and taste this good is saying something.