Going BACK to Points from Pertronix ???

Pep48

I just converted my '48 P15 Special Deluxe to 12V Negative ground. Before firing it up, I popped the dist cap to check the points and...SURPRISE ! The previous owner installed a Pertronix Ignitor.

Thought about installing Pertronix 12V pos ground module. But, from what I have seen on the web, a lot of guys have reliability problems on a variety of engines.

So, now I'm considering going back to good ol' points. I'd need to get a distributor plate (since I don't have the old one). The coil is 12V with a ballast resistor. Anything else?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Pep ,  As Mark mentioned , NOS AutoLite parts can be found on ebay . I have an AutoLite catalog and I can look up most distributor models to find the part numbers for plates , points , etc . The model number usually starts with three letters  followed by numbers . 

My honest opinion, since you are in this deep already .... I would just purchase the correct petronix parts and go that route for now ..... cheaper, easier, faster.

Then I might collect parts to or a spare distributor to carry along in case I had future problems.

While many people have been using the petronix after they sold out and started delivering a lesser quality product .... they had no issues with it .... while some people have.

Ask @Sniper he will set you straight ..... we only hear from those that have a complaint .... we do not hear from the other 1/2 that has no complaints.

Just for simplicity and cost, I would replace your unit with appropriate 12V unit and follow all instructions .....Then if I had a future issue, I would consider a replacement.

For my own purpose, I'm going with the slant 6 distributor upgrade to get electronic ignition ....that is a different option you have ..... personally I would just replace what you already have to see if I'm one of the 50% of people that do not have a issue with petronix.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have ordered the correct Pertronix for my application. (waiting to receive it). In researching the conversion I discovered that the majority of  problems people had were due to incorrect wiring, among other things.

Here are some tips:

• First, get the right unit for your application.
  • Pay attention to voltage and polarity (in my application: 12 Neg ground)
  • Be sure to use a 12 volt 3 ohm internal resistor coil. (for a six cylinder engine)
  • The coil MUST have full 12 volt current all the time. It must be wired directly to the ignition switch, and NOT through a ballast resistor or resistor wire.
  • NEVER leave the ignition switch on, (for an extended period of time) with the engine not running. This will fry the unit.
  • The RED wire from the module, together with the direct 12v ignition wire connects to the + (pos) terminal of the coil.
  • The BLACK wire from the module, connects to the - (neg) terminal of the coil.
  • Obviously be sure your rotor and cap are in good condition.

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

Ask @Sniper he will set you straight

Poof, he appears, lol.

Yeah, the squeaky wheel and all that.  I mean no one complaints if all is well, right?

Heck, I've complained once or twice, here, about something and it turns out I was wrong, lol.  Like the aftermarket new /6 distributor I thought wouldn't work for the swap, turns out someone else here had the same setup and looked closer at it and found out it would.  So I forged ahead and he was right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1