They don't make em like they used to

Young Ed

Helped a friend put new pads on a 2020 Subaru outback today. It has an electric parking brake so the directions we found have you disconnecting the battery to allow service of the pads. Everything goes smoothly until we go to reinstall the battery. Apparently the cable has some strange one time use connection and you're supposed to undo the other 2 connections rather than pull the terminal connection. Who has ever heard of a 1 time use battery connection!!?!!!??!!!! The piece we needed is of course dealer only and it was past closing time by the time we discovered all this. Here is my solution to get him back on the road until he can source a new piece 

IMG_20241012_223542.jpg

Manufacturers want revenue streams, and this looks like another one...I suppose they assume the batt.terminal has a service life so make it cheap and replaceable rather than heavy duty and maintenance-free.

Subaru makes a good product, but this malarkey does not surprise me.  When I steered my friend to a new CrossTrek 2yrs ago, we were both disappointed to find out that the remote start feature on the fob would only work if she paid for a service subscription to unlock the already installed software, something like 10 bucks per month.  Yeah, that 10 bucks goes towards her coffee budget, she needs that daily 🥱

This is one of the many reason I do almost no work on my 2016 Chevy Traverse. I don’t have the knowledge or test equipment to do the work and with everything computer controlled I never know what I might do that could “brick” the truck over reprogramming. I hope to never have a vehicle newer than what I currently own.

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

Here's the appropriate TSB for that specific issue.  It's more than just a clamp.

TSB 07-171-20 Battery Sensor Removal.pdf 1.15 MB · 4 downloads

The part that was one time use was just the clamp. We knew it did more than that but didn't know it was not to be removed. I will say though the pictures in your TSB make it look like they've updated the part to a better design