Dwell is too high.

Ivan_B

Quick question for the points experts: I am trying to adjust my points, but the lowest I can get is ~40 degrees dwell. The adjustment screw bottoms out (widest gap) but the dwell would not go any lower. Reducing the gap, does bring the dwell higher, as expected. Does this mean that my rubbing block is too short?

I have two sets of relatively fresh-looking modern points. It looks like the PO replaced one slightly used set with another one just like it 🙄 The rubbing block on the older production points appears to be way taller. But the arm angle could also be different, etc. I know that 40 degrees is just about right, but the book says 38, and I specifically got the dwell meter, so here we are... 🤣

Also, by chance, does anyone know what the "points" setting on the "tach/dwell/points" old analog sears meter does? It has only 2 readings in this mode - good and bad. What is it supposed to test? How does it know that the points are "bad"?

Thanks!

I have found new production points have rubbing blocks that wear out fast.  So yeah, that is probably your issue.

As for the analyzer question, 5:27 for the points test, it's a resistance test.

Thanks for the reply. I already ordered some NOS points to see if I can get the correct dwell with them.

This is funny, I just watched the same video, yesterday, and also discovered that this is a simple resistance reading... :)

Be sure to keep the rubbing block lubed with the correct grease. I have been running the same set of points for  about 9k miles now with minor adjustments. An old timer gave me a tube of rubbing block grease.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:56 AM, DJK said:

Be sure to keep the rubbing block lubed with the correct grease. I have been running the same set of points for  about 9k miles now with minor adjustments. An old timer gave me a tube of rubbing block grease.

The correct grease is called Dialectric grease and just a very light smear is placed on the distributor cam. Also if you have an external grease cup on your early distributor body approx every couple of months  rotate the cup clockwise approx 1/4 to 1/2 turn to force grease into the inner bushing.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Posted (edited)

I was under impression that dielectric grease and cam lobe/points lube are different types of grease :) And dialectic is something completely different 😅

I do have the grease cup and it is packed with bearing grease and is being used according to specs, thanks.

Edited by Ivan_B