brake shoes relining

I’ve always just had my old shoes relined. But then again, even when I got my car in the 1970s new or remanufactured brake shoes were not available for it.

Find a good, preferably local to you, "brake and friction" company. If there isn’t one then there have been several recommendations in the past on this forum.

The next question would be to get them riveted or bonded. I’ve gone with bonded most of the time. Mostly because that is what the shops are used to doing nowadays.

• Like 1

I had Porterfield line a set of shoes for me, although I haven't installed them yet. They have 3 different compounds to choose from, and will talk to you about which fits your needs. If you can give am accurate measurement for your drums, they will arch them to match.

No need to choose if they should be bonded or riveted,  they will do either or both.

It mostly does not matter where you get them.  Ebay, Rock auto, if NAPA if they have them etc riveted or bonded.  A local company that specializes can have them arched to fit your drums and you can get a selection of different types of materials for the lining.  So you could have softer material for longer lasting drums and smoother engagement or harder materials for better stopping or dustless.  Everybody bonds today works fine.  I did my emergency brake lining and purchased the lining from Midwest Military for some cheap lining.  I bonded the lining to the drum with JB weld.  I think it worked great for that but I would have a service do that on the brake pads.  I posted my work on our site in the files section  where you will find lots of other info.  39-47Dodgetruck@groups.io   Bob Harrison

Hey thanks for the replies.  I did a google search and found a local shop that advertised shoe relining.  I have no idea what the cost is but when I find out I will post it if anyone is interested.

There's guy out in Lawn Guyland that sells NORS shoes with asbestos lining plus many other parts. I got a set for my truck. I met him through the C-bodies site and he is a regular at Carlisle. 

Craig at Mobile Parts - I'll find his number if requested. No website. 

It was through him that I discovered I had incorrect front wheel cylinders for over 20 years of owning my truck. He knows his shyte!

I found a shop locally that did the fronts for $120.  Next week I will install them when I get the wheel cylinders from Rock auto.

But now I can't find the copper washer that goes between the brake line and the wheel cylinder!  It must have fallen out on the floor and got sweep up.  Now I have to find one.  I do have the other side washer to make a match with.

4 hours ago, jrocco49 said:

I found a shop locally that did the fronts for $120.  Next week I will install them when I get the wheel cylinders from Rock auto.

But now I can't find the copper washer that goes between the brake line and the wheel cylinder!  It must have fallen out on the floor and got sweep up.  Now I have to find one.  I do have the other side washer to make a match with.

You need a new washer regardless. You can get new ones at the auto parts store or hardware store. Some parts stores offer an assortment of washers, or just take your brake hose with you to find the right fit. I like to keep several of these washers in stock for this very purpose. 

5 hours ago, jrocco49 said:

I assume you are looking for the “Brake Flexible Hose Gasket”, part type code 5-62-07. Which for your truck is likely to be Chrysler part 1123332 which should be available in your local auto supply store. Follow the links to get part numbers they can cross to their system.

Thinking about it, there is a reasonable chance that a brake and friction supply that was able to reline your shoes will also carry that type of part.

I received the wheel cylinders from Rock auto, and they have the washer included with the cylinders.  But now a new snag.  The bolt patterns do not line up.  My old cylinders are 1-3/4 the once's from Rock auto are 2 in.

I could drill the backing plate, but a local NAPA is going to try and find a pair of wheel cylinders and have me come in and compare them side by side.  

20 hours ago, jrocco49 said:

I received the wheel cylinders from Rock auto, and they have the washer included with the cylinders.  But now a new snag.  The bolt patterns do not line up.  My old cylinders are 1-3/4 the once's from Rock auto are 2 in.

I could drill the backing plate, but a local NAPA is going to try and find a pair of wheel cylinders and have me come in and compare them side by side.  

Have you looked into VPW?  They should have the proper ones.

image.png.aed7fc25c478cda63b7d6064a9efcdde.png