my first Kustom (chopped '51 Coronet)

nr1freak

Hi Folkz! 

glad i found a dedicated forum for my newly acquired '51! it's been chopped and restored a good 20 years ago, sold, and then forgotten about for about 10 years ... last time it ran was 5 years ago, but she started up first try! 

underneath, everything was maintained pretty well. the windows unfortunately got lost, and the interior was ripped out. i was told the engine got a complete overhaul back in the days, and she sure sounds like she did. first thing will be to change all the fluids, open and check the brakes, and then try to get 'r some plates before summer. fresh paint and chrome will have to wait a bit, i'll run 'r with that "fresh out of the barn look"for a while. apparently she was cammed as well so curious to see how much ass she can haul :)

IMG_E3711.JPG

IMG_E0631.JPG

IMG_E3601.JPG

IMG_E3705.JPG

IMG_E3706.JPG

IMG_E3708.JPG

IMG_E3709.JPG

• Like 6

12 hours ago, FarmerJon said:

That chop looks great!

Can we see a close up of the engine?

What Transmission is that?

it has the GyroMatic transmission! i'm out of the country but i'll take some pics when i get back, need to do more research on that engine because i'm not sure if the twin carb setup is original? eiterway it runs on LPG, but i plan on throwing that out 

6 hours ago, ratbailey said:

Love the chop! The downward slope of the roofline gives it a nice fastback look. I see twin carbs, would love to see more pics when you get time...

i know right? car was chopped by one of the best builders here in Europe. yea, i need to investigate that engine still, i'm out of the country now but i'll check the numbers on it when i get back... what flatheads came with the twin carb? do u know? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sniper said:

You are going to have to find a custom glass shop that's good at making windows. Either that or you know how to make the templates and have them cut to fit the templates. Fortunately it's all flat glass. I hope

yea, already found a guy close to home that can do it! indeed so happy the front windshield is a split type with flat glass :) the rear windshield unfortunately came from a 51 Chevy Styleline but was lost by the previous owner... i'm gonna go for a Lexane one for the time being untill i have the funds to have one shipped in from the states... (i'm from Belgium...) 

Very nice!

It looks like a '50s Edmunds Custom  2x2 intake with holley/ford 94 carbs. Exhaust is a pair of Fenton cast iron headers or a reproduction "Langdon" version. Lpg is an interesting configuration, I wonder how the 94s meter it....

Lpg has som advantages for the old engines- no carbon build up, no fuel washing the cylinder walls and mixing with oil, better fuel distribution on these longer engines. It seems like one big complaint is when people try to use gasoline carbs to make a dual fuel set up. It leads to a big loss of power. Dedicated propane mixers are able to flow enough air to compensate for this.

Those helly 94 carbs have good parts availability,  so you should be able to convert them back to gas pretty easily. Shoot me a PM if you need help getting parts mailed. 

Good luck and keep us updated!

Edited by FarmerJon
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 5:38 PM, FarmerJon said:

Very nice!

It looks like a '50s Edmunds Custom  2x2 intake with holley/ford 94 carbs. Exhaust is a pair of Fenton cast iron headers or a reproduction "Langdon" version. Lpg is an interesting configuration, I wonder how the 94s meter it....

Lpg has som advantages for the old engines- no carbon build up, no fuel washing the cylinder walls and mixing with oil, better fuel distribution on these longer engines. It seems like one big complaint is when people try to use gasoline carbs to make a dual fuel set up. It leads to a big loss of power. Dedicated propane mixers are able to flow enough air to compensate for this.

Those helly 94 carbs have good parts availability,  so you should be able to convert them back to gas pretty easily. Shoot me a PM if you need help getting parts mailed. 

Good luck and keep us updated!

thx for that! do you know if the twin carb was an original option? i'll see how it drives with the LPG, the guy who build it says it ran great, but ofcourse that was 10years and 2 or 3 owners ago...  

1 minute ago, War Dog said:

What transmission do you have? The large majority where Gyromatic transmissions?.

yes, it's the Gyromatic! my last cars were all 70's cars (70 barracuda, Dodge W200 and a Chevy G20)  so i had never heared of these transmission untill i got my hands on this old lady! can't wait to drive 'r! 

Hi.  Welcome to the Forum.  As I recall, I think the Gyromatic can either be shifted like a standard transmission or left in high gear like an automatic....but will

be slower on the takeoff than shifting.  Someone will tell ypu if I am wrong........     Have you gotten a parts manual and an owner's manual for the car yet.  Those 2 things are very necessary to have.  However they won't apply to the modified things like the carbs.   There are two engine lengths in old Mopars.....23 inches long  in Plymouths and Dodges and 25 inches long in DeSotos and Chryslers.  Some parts will interchange between the cars and engines....some will not.  You just

have to learn such things as you go along.    I like the loojks of your car and wish you much success in rejuvenating it.     Bob.     

1 hour ago, BobT-47P15 said:

Hi.  Welcome to the Forum.  As I recall, I think the Gyromatic can either be shifted like a standard transmission or left in high gear like an automatic....but will

be slower on the takeoff than shifting.  Someone will tell ypu if I am wrong........     Have you gotten a parts manual and an owner's manual for the car yet.  Those 2 things are very necessary to have.  However they won't apply to the modified things like the carbs.   There are two engine lengths in old Mopars.....23 inches long  in Plymouths and Dodges and 25 inches long in DeSotos and Chryslers.  Some parts will interchange between the cars and engines....some will not.  You just

have to learn such things as you go along.    I like the loojks of your car and wish you much success in rejuvenating it.     Bob.     

Thx! happy to be here :) the previous owner explained the workings to me, clutch, shift up for 1nd and 2nd, clutch and shift down for 2nd and 3rd! slghtly reduce throttle to shift. i'll try to leave it in high and see what she does. i just talked to the builder, he says it's a 230cui twin carb, with the 12V mallory ignition and 3/4 racing cam, so i'm guessing she'll have enough power to get going in 3rd :) i have indeed purchased the shop manual, don't have the owner's manual or parts list yet... any idea where i can find it for a 1951 D42?  

I think this is your glass. it would be hard to cut the rear window.

Welcome to the forum.

https://www.vendio.com/stores/bobsclassicautoglass/item/dodge-glass/1951-1952-dodge-2-door-hardtop/lid=33919581

6 hours ago, Vin's 49 Plymouth said:

I think this is your glass. it would be hard to cut the rear window.

Welcome to the forum.

https://www.vendio.com/stores/bobsclassicautoglass/item/dodge-glass/1951-1952-dodge-2-door-hardtop/lid=33919581

i live in Europe so it would cost me an arm and a leg to have those shipped :) also i would have to cut them, and would indeed be very difficult! instead i'm just gonna go to a local glass-shop and have some layered glass waterjetted into the correct shape. the rear window came of a (i believe) '49 Chevy Styleline, but for now i'm gonna use Lexane untill i find a shop in the US that's willing to send one over to Europe... 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hansen said:

Nice looking!!

And Lexan will be ok,I have it in rear.

IMG_7378.jpeg

sweet ride!! doesn't the lexane scratch fast? what thickness did you use? and what kind of glue? did u have to heatmold it? or does it just stay in shape like that.