1954 1/2 ton front spring shackles

WPVT

I've located replacement front leaf springs for my 1954 1/2 ton Dodge pickup. Are there other parts that will need to be replaced along with the springs, i.e, shackles or bushings ?

I'm having a repair shop do the work, and I want them to have everything they'll need ahead of time.  I chase the parts, and they do the work. 

Thanks. 

IMHO, you going to have to have a qualified mechanic inspect the front end before you disassemble it.

Replacing springs is one thing. ... There are bushings & many other parts included in the front end.

Looking for the play in bushings or bearings is usually done before full disassembly.

Whats the good of replacing your springs if your kingpins are worn out, or you need a new tie rod?

Is true you can replace the springs then find out something else is shot ..... then pay twice to have the job done again.

I'm only suggesting that someone needs to raise the vehicle & inspect the complete front end .... then report what needs to be replaced before it is torn apart.

Without a inspection in the first place, nobody can tell you what you need before the inspection.

I think the first thing to do is find the mechanic you want to work on your truck, then replace what they suggest.

• Like 1

I'm just a bit confused on the replacement of the front springs.

years ago there was a shop on 2nd street in Albuquerque NM. They would pull my rear springs on my 1 ton van for $250 ... re-arch them & install them.

Was a typical spring shop for semi trucks.

So when @WPVT starts swapping springs ..... I just have to question why?

Then I want to question who is doing the job ....

Nosy as I am ..... maybe we should talk before working on the front end.

Life is short, do what you enjoy is my motto!

On 8/14/2023 at 10:32 PM, Los_Control said:

I'm just a bit confused on the replacement of the front springs.

years ago there was a shop on 2nd street in Albuquerque NM. They would pull my rear springs on my 1 ton van for $250 ... re-arch them & install them.

Was a typical spring shop for semi trucks.

So when @WPVT starts swapping springs ..... I just have to question why?

Then I want to question who is doing the job ....

Nosy as I am ..... maybe we should talk before working on the front end.

Life is short, do what you enjoy is my motto!

Thanks. I can also remember when one could go to a spring repair shop and have springs rebuilt. The only spring shop left within 100 miles is pretty good, but they are too busy to fool around with an old pickup truck, and apt to resort to pragmatic fixes.  I do have a general repair shop, however, not too far away, that does decent, careful, work on old vehicles. To the extent possible, I try to bring them the right parts along with the truck when I bring it in. Not to save money, but to save them time. They can't spend hours on the internet tracking stuff down, while I can (and do). They appreciate it, provided I get the right stuff. It means they don't have to tie up a lift while they wait for something to arrive from a vendor far away.

The front suspension on the truck is in fine shape, king pins are new. The front leaf springs have a downward arc, and hence the shackles are "collapsed", and the springs no longer do their job as intended.

I've done all kinds of work on old trucks over the years, but I've never done a leaf spring replacement, so I don't know what it entails, just that it is unpleasant work. If there is a thread outlining the process, that would be a great help to me.   

1 hour ago, WPVT said:

I can also remember when one could go to a spring repair shop and have springs rebuilt

Times really have changed ..... what we use to do in the past is not always a option today ..... I keep forgetting  :(

Not what you are looking for, is 2 short videos about working with the rear shackles/springs.  Worth the time to watch how the rear is done, will better understand the front?

There is a 3rd video talking a little about the front bushing .... reminding us they are left handed threads.

Been awhile since I have watched them ..... I wonder if all the bushings are left handed threads  ..... first 2 vids should clarify that.