Changing attitude (mine) about old cars in general and the P/D cars in particular

Curt Lee

Time was, not too long ago, that when I got a "new" old car, I started envisioning all the modern upgrades and substitutions I could do to make it "modern"...

Mainly with an eye to "improving" what I saw as obsolescence and inefficiency. Sometimes with an eye to safety, even.

The more time I spent learning about the cars, and the technology of the day compared to today's complex systems, the more I realized that, especially among Chrysler products, they were producing state-of-the-art vehicles across the board. Even my chosen brand Ford often fell far from the fore with design quirks that limited their products for no other reason than "that's how we do it at Ford"... 

Preaching to the choir, I suppose? Maybe. Keeping my eye out for a Plymouth P15 sedan right now.........

Most people, unless you are a MoPar fan do not know about the engineering that was involved from the beginning when they started to produce cars and trucks.  From the beginning they had hydraulic brakes vs the ford Model A braking system. They had hardened value seats from the beginning so you could run gas with ethinol from the 30 up till now. The mid 30 around 1936-37 had a more powerful horsepower engine then even the Ford V8. As you dig deeper you will find other improvements along the way.

Rich Hartung  1939 Desoto

• Like 1

Being a deeply interested WW2 history buff, I was aware from my teens of the heavy contributions Chrysler made to mechanizing our military and, by lend lease, many other militaries around the world. I wasn't aware, though, that the workhorse 230 six went into almost every type of vehicle except aircraft (and that, probably, because it was so heavy) in some way shape or form. and that many of those engines were still in service well into the sixties in US transport. No telling how much longer the ones given to our allies might have been functional. How many engine designs from the mid-thirties served well into the sixties relatively unchanged? Of course there are modern alternatives that deliver much more in terms of horsepower, but are they ACTUALLY comparable relative to their time? Those flathead sixes provided plenty of torque, good range of speed, and respectable economy despite some heavy bodywork and hp-consuming fluid drives... and they could be counted on day after day, summer and winter, to fire up and get going. It's my observation that a great many of these cars never quit working, per se; they were set aside for something that looked newer and shinier. Hence the number of complete and near-operational survivors in comparison to the same generation of other makes. They're simply damn good cars. 

• Like 2

When I look at Chrysler products in the flathead era, I see vehicles that came to the table from a slightly different position than the others of the big three. With Chevrolet, you got great styling and an OHV six (but ignore the splash lubrication and babbit bearings.) With Ford, you got style with V8 (and had to ignore overheating & archaic suspension.) Plymouth was never really the style leader but very much offered its own kind of value. You really did get more for your money. In ways, each of the big three could truthfully say that, but you have to decide, what exactly do you want more of? I say this as someone who has owned products of the three, plus a couple independents, and I like and respect them all. What owning my old Chrysler has taught me: that original buyer, back in '49, got their money's worth.

I think that ChryCo was better adapted to market their products across the various lines because of the mechanical commonality. GM had more lines, but they had to handle several different types of engines, transmissions, and suspension systems between them. Ford profited from the simplicity of their technology, and the minor makes managed well enough with their unique designs because they marketed to their customer more directly. All in all, every make had it's pros and cons. But, looking back gives us a unique insight into what actually worked well for the longest time period. Some makes had dead end designs, mistakes in thinking too far ahead, and some outright failures. IMHO, the most reliable and durable cars that came out of the forties were Nash/Ramblers, Studebakers, ChryCo and Fords. GM offerings were a mixed bag, I feel. 

In my opinion, the Mopar products from this era, particularly '46-'48, have much better styling than either GM or Ford, and they are technologically more advanced.  I try to keep mine as close to stock as possible.....a personal preference.  Having the original drive train running and driving just seems really cool to me.

Edited by hi_volt
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:53 AM, CURT LEE said:

I think that ChryCo was better adapted to market their products across the various lines because of the mechanical commonality. GM had more lines, but they had to handle several different types of engines, transmissions, and suspension systems between them. Ford profited from the simplicity of their technology, and the minor makes managed well enough with their unique designs because they marketed to their customer more directly. All in all, every make had it's pros and cons. But, looking back gives us a unique insight into what actually worked well for the longest time period. Some makes had dead end designs, mistakes in thinking too far ahead, and some outright failures. IMHO, the most reliable and durable cars that came out of the forties were Nash/Ramblers, Studebakers, ChryCo and Fords. GM offerings were a mixed bag, I feel. 

Of all of the non-MoPar makes, the 49-50 Nash is the one that "turned my head".  (There was one in a small mostly abandoned salvage close to home, where we sometimes went to just look around.)

Agree most folks wouldn’t know the engineering marvels in the early Mopars. My ‘38 has fully removable floor pans! So easy to remove or service transmission or clutch! Love that feature. 

note to Curt Lee.  The 230 may not have been used in aircraft  but the 201 was.  In  1935.

Look up  Ole Fahlin   and his Plymocoupe.