2 cycle gas

DonaldSmith

I had a garage sale this weekend, on short notice, and about as successful as a lemonade stand.  No one wants canning jars, or most of the stuff I had dragged out of storage.   I had a welder and small generator, which few people even noticed.  I'll recycle the canning jars, maybe keep the wire "flux capacitor" welder, and trash the generator in the metals bin at the recycle center.  They would probably want the gas drained first.  I don't want to get yelled at.

The generator is full with two gallons of gas, and I have another dedicated one-gallon can full of the elixir.  How to dispose of old gas with the 2-cyele oil in it?  My miser instinct says pour a little at a time in the almost full tanks of my daily drivers, until one day it's all gone.   It seems this would work with gas that is just old, but am I asking for trouble from the oil? 

I'll probably go on-line and find answers, some of them valid, but I wonder if you guys have any experiences with the issue.    

I don't think you would have any problems with a bit of oil in your gas if you put it bit by bit in your other vehicles. The problems arise when you go the other way and don't have 2 stroke oil mixed in when required for those engines...my 2c worth anyway...

No neighbors with their own 2-cycle generators, or gas trimmers and such?  If you can burn other additives (i.e., Seafoam, MMO, etc.) you can burn a little 2-cycle gas.  I'm thinking it may run afoul of uber modern emissions systems, but it certainly won't hurt older vehicles without complicated (or any) emissions systems.  May even help 'em out a bit.  

We have a 2011 Buick Enclave, and a 2008 Ford Fusion.  The Fusion is our daily driver, and the Enclave is used or trips and bulky loads.  So, would these have sensitive uber modern emission systems?    I suppose I would put the elixir in the Fusion, to get it burned away sooner. 

Or:

I checked  the local recycling center.  They will take the gas, in a fire-marshal-approved container, that would not be returned.   I have two 5-gallon plastic cans.  I suppose I  could give one up for the cause.  I've had the two cans so that I could re-fuel the DeSoto without having to drive it out to Sam's.  I've got time to mull this over, since the recycling center is booked till the end of the month, and maybe past the Fourth. 

It'll just weigh heavily on my mind, since I dug out all these Garage Sale treasures from the hidden recess of our house and garage, and I don't really ant to put them back.     

Whenever I run into extra gasoline like that, I use it as a weed killer out in the alley. Takes very little & dissipates so quickly ... could hardly be called toxic.

The oil to make gasoline comes from the ground in the first place. ....... I had a small tree growing at the foundation of my house.

I cut it several times, used round up weed killer on it, always came back .... one treatment with gas it is gone & the grass is grown back in.

To bad about the canning jars, Seems like every year I need to buy more ..... Getting ready to can a batch of pears soon .... time for more pickles, wife cleaned us out.

The generator would be nice to get to someone that would enjoy working on it .... they could learn from it. Put a add on Facebook market place or craigs list.

I assume it runs or was running years ago when it was last used .... now needs the fuel system cleaned.

You could let them deal with the fuel just leave it alone.

Possibly drag it to the end of your driveway & put a free sign on it .... see if it disappears in a few days?

If you put a free sign on it no one will take it.  Put a 5 dollar tag on it and someone will steal it in no time.  Your problem will be gone.

If you have a lawn mower you could use the gas in that.  It will not care if there is a little oil in the gas.

I had the generator by the street, but I began to think someone would grab it for the copper and other metals, and dump the gas/oil in the gutter and the city would yell at me.  One time we threw out a CRT monitor.  A guy asked to have it.  Then he broke the tube and took the parts he wanted.  So the generator is back in the garage.  Maybe some year I'll work on it.   

I guess the glass jars are expendable, unless the little woman keeps her own.  Any small nick could lead to the jar cracking under the heat, and there go the tomatoes.    Oh, well, recycle the glass and someone will make wonderful things from it.