B&B vent tube tool?

DonaldSmith
Go to solution Solved by desoto1939,

I've got my parts from Mike's Carburetors and I am diligently reading the instructions.  "Tool No. T109-70 must be used to remove tube and to install new tube."

I see such a tool on line, Buy It Now, for $20.  But it also looks like something I could cobble together.  There's a narrow shaft about an inch or so long, with a slot cut in the end.  Then the shaft fattens u[p and extends up a way, with a hole for a cross arm.  

Comments?  Experiences? Any other tools that would make the job easier?

• Solution

Yes you could make the tool but also consider the time, metal and also not knowing all of the correct measurements.  This is the venturi tube removed that has to be perfect fit so as to not bend or ruin the venturi tube when doing a remove and replace in your BB and Carb.

My best suggestion if to purchase the tool and have the correct tool for the B&B carb rebuild.  Factory tools are alwasy better that had made tools.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

I doubt you could make that tool and get it to work with out damaging the tube.

I use that tool quite a bit.

Spend the measly 20 bucks do it right.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spell check
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 4:57 PM, DonaldSmith said:

I've got my parts from Mike's Carburetors and I am diligently reading the instructions.  "Tool No. T109-70 must be used to remove tube and to install new tube."

I see such a tool on line, Buy It Now, for $20.  But it also looks like something I could cobble together.  There's a narrow shaft about an inch or so long, with a slot cut in the end.  Then the shaft fattens u[p and extends up a way, with a hole for a cross arm.  

Comments?  Experiences? Any other tools that would make the job easier?

I'm looking to get one of these vent removal tools, but haven't been able to search it out.  Do you have a link to the ebay ad?  

Thanks in advance!

I found photos of my carb rebuild.  The tool that I had sent away for did not fit. I found that I had a screwdriver whose blade was jus wide enough to unscrew the tube. 
X
X
carbrebuild2023(4)screwdriver.JPG.9f1a52c9107f4a4bf62e5f7b36a4eef6.JPG

Just happened to have a screwdriver...

carbrebuild2023(3)wrongtool.JPG.5abe32add6db9a5bcab47611ee9c7ad8.JPG

This photo is titled "wrong tool".  "

On 3/26/2024 at 11:52 AM, DonaldSmith said:

I found that I had a screwdriver whose blade was jus wide enough to unscrew the tube. 

I have always used screw drivers for these jobs.  Just make sure the tip of the screwdriver blade securely grabs both sides of the brass.  Grind down the wide sides of the blade so it fits in the hole.  And it still works as a screwdriver when you're done.