New Yorker 47 Fuel pump

Carl-Gustav
Go to solution Solved by Dodgeb4ya,

Hello everyone!

Ok, maybe it's a dumb question but I'm sure some of you will be able to give me an answer ?

How do I figure out witch fuel pump I have on my New Yorker 47? ... I've been looking for rebuilding kits but I end up having different choices depending on brand of pump ? 

It all started after winter when I tryed to crank the engine but it didn't want to start. So I started with a check of the lines, carb and so on... The carb seemed faulty and leeky so I refurbished it. It still leeks(drips) from one place but not much. Then it seemed like the fuel didn't go all the way so I figured the pump didn't have the strength to pump and push up the fuel... I installed an electric one as a primer and a check valve - problem solved... I thought ? I went on a longer ride the other day and after a while the engine started coughing but if I used the electrical pump for a couple of seconds it worked fine again. I found that when speeding a little it had trouble getting enough fuel so I figure the mechanical pump is tired. 
Do you think my conclusion is correct? 

Best regards
Carl
??

then and now automotive website has a huge selection of pump rebuild kits

i removed my fuel pump and was able to match up the main gasket with pictures and rest of written description.

on my pump there is a flaw that is corrected in the new kit.

• Like 1

If your pump is old I would rebuild it or have it rebuilt.

There should be three stand off studs to support the heat shield and a little air dome to quiet the pump pulsations.

Then and now has a video of rebuilding this same pump...they will do a great job. Or they will sell you a kit.

There are some of these pumps online NOS or they will rebuild your core but very costly. A NOS pump will probably fail because of ethanol fuel. Get one or yours rebuilt.

You should also replace the flex hose at the pump.

This reminds me I need to order a couple fuel pump kits for two of my straight eight cars.

I rebuild my own.

This is what your standard 1946-50 Chrysler 8 fuel pump (AC590) should look like...all 1939-50 Chrysler 323 eights same.

20230516_143638_eFFj4RxO8F.jpeg

20230516_143746_yYAGrxaR2n.jpeg

20230516_144018_86Xkdcwx9D.jpeg

20230516_143856_0qFCeR6w60.jpeg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
AC590 pump #
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl-Gustav said:

Hello everyone!

Ok, maybe it's a dumb question but I'm sure some of you will be able to give me an answer ?

How do I figure out witch fuel pump I have on my New Yorker 47? ... I've been looking for rebuilding kits but I end up having different choices depending on brand of pump ? 

It all started after winter when I tryed to crank the engine but it didn't want to start. So I started with a check of the lines, carb and so on... The carb seemed faulty and leeky so I refurbished it. It still leeks(drips) from one place but not much. Then it seemed like the fuel didn't go all the way so I figured the pump didn't have the strength to pump and push up the fuel... I installed an electric one as a primer and a check valve - problem solved... I thought ? I went on a longer ride the other day and after a while the engine started coughing but if I used the electrical pump for a couple of seconds it worked fine again. I found that when speeding a little it had trouble getting enough fuel so I figure the mechanical pump is tired. 
Do you think my conclusion is correct? 

Best regards
Carl
??

Could be the pump - won't hurt to rebuld it

Could be vapor lock from the fuel boiling when the engine gets hot - do you have the heat shield in place?

Could be an obstruction/dirt in the line from the tank or in the tank itself

• Like 1

16 hours ago, joecoozie said:

Could be the pump - won't hurt to rebuld it

Could be vapor lock from the fuel boiling when the engine gets hot - do you have the heat shield in place?

Could be an obstruction/dirt in the line from the tank or in the tank itself

Hmm, there is no shield... I've been thinking of fixing one ?

19 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

If your pump is old I would rebuild it or have it rebuilt.

There should be three stand off studs to support the heat shield and a little air dome to quiet the pump pulsations.

Then and now has a video of rebuilding this same pump...they will do a great job. Or they will sell you a kit.

There are some of these pumps online NOS or they will rebuild your core but very costly. A NOS pump will probably fail because of ethanol fuel. Get one or yours rebuilt.

You should also replace the flex hose at the pump.

This reminds me I need to order a couple fuel pump kits for two of my straight eight cars.

I rebuild my own.

This is what your standard 1946-50 Chrysler 8 fuel pump should look like...all 1939-50 Chrysler 323 eights same.

20230516_143638_eFFj4RxO8F.jpeg

20230516_143746_yYAGrxaR2n.jpeg

20230516_144018_86Xkdcwx9D.jpeg

20230516_143856_0qFCeR6w60.jpeg

It looks like mine...but I have the airdome on the other side ? maybe it doesn't matter? ... Do you know what kit I should buy to refurbish mine? ?IMG_20230517_185835.jpg.a13da5268290ed5efa35c4d2d348160c.jpgIMG_20230517_185904.jpg.6803e413ed576553cd39b9bc5a29b335.jpg

21 hours ago, Bingster said:

Then & Now also has great videos on how to rebuild the pumps. He tells you where to find the serial number on your pump.

Can you possibly link to the videos. Iv been on the website but didn't see a video covering fuel pump identifying.  

I  have a 48' that will probably require a fuel pump rebuild. 

Your air dome is on the correct side to the rear of the engine but clocked at

7 o'clock not 9 o'clock as originally designed...easy to fix that.

Some pics of the factory eight heat shield...

20230517_131311_OQm5I1CD4o.jpeg

20230517_131456_5xaPtxjr3m.jpeg

20230517_131600_42qgPIwE8S.jpeg

20230517_131714_X9A3VcqZ0e.jpeg

20230517_131612_0Cw4HUIC6P.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Your air dome is on the correct side to the rear of the engine but clocked at

7 o'clock not 9 o'clock as originally designed...easy to fix that.

Some pics of the factory eight heat shield...

20230517_131311_OQm5I1CD4o.jpeg

20230517_131456_5xaPtxjr3m.jpeg

20230517_131600_42qgPIwE8S.jpeg

20230517_131714_X9A3VcqZ0e.jpeg

20230517_131612_0Cw4HUIC6P.jpeg

Great pictures! Thanks ?

Oh, I get it. They have screwed it on wrong so it should be turned so the dome is 9 o'clock, check! About the shield...that's more difficult but I'll see what I can do ?

Need to find the number stamped on it so I can find the right kit... I believe it should read 590?! ?

• Solution

It's a AC 590 pump.

"Then and Now" has a video on your 590 pump on how they rebuild it.

• Like 1

I just ordered my 1948 Chrysler 8  kit last Wednesday...got it last Saturday.

I called them to order it. I had to call twice till someone answered the phone.

Fast service.

Screenshot_20230522-111652_Chrome.jpg