Radiator fans ?

Dartgame

I've been thinking about putting in a stock 6 blade fan in place of the 4 blade I have now. With the age of these things I have some concern about there being a potential failure (loosing a blade and ripping up the hood or fender). So I was wondering if anyone has had luck finding a new aftermarket type with the correct center register. Thoughts comments ?

Edited by Dartgame

Not to sound like I'm raining on your parade but they did build these components fairly well bullet proof. Also if you look at todays manufacturing, they build them with a planned obsolesence in mind. Meaning they break or wear out with in a set number of years so you have to buy a new one. And let's not get started on chinese manufacturing procedures. 

Seems like if that is your concern you could just pull your old fan and inspect and or repair it and have it go another 70 - 80 years. Now if you have done an engine swap to SBC or large type engine you might need the bigger fan to push more air over the engine/pull more air through the rad and I can see that. But for a stock Mopar, not so much.

Like I said not discouraging you, just thinking about the why and need of said thinking.

Joe Lee

Having seen the Engine Master's dyno test of cooling fans, I went electric.

That said, a good machine shop ought to be able to open up the center register of any fan that suits your fancy.

Or you can pull the original pump hub, press on one from a Mopar BB or SB and use whatever fan fits those applications.  This was going to be my original solution.

6 hours ago, Dartgame said:

I've been thinking about putting in a stock 6 blade fan in place of the 4 blade I have now. With the age of these things I have some concern about there being a potential failure (loosing a blade and ripping up the hood or fender). So I was wondering if anyone has had luck finding a new aftermarket type with the correct center register. Thoughts comments ?

Yes, it happens.  Luckily it only took out the headlight harness and not the hood or radiator when it let loose.  I trash every old fan I come across now.

Went electric and never looked back.

post-2787-0-87040100-1403587237_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

dart, i have been looking for a 6 blade fan for my 265 engine in my 54 windsor.about a dozen salvage yards so far and no luck. i got a shroud, but the fan is elusive. they were used on 53/54 dodge and plymouths for sure, and many trucks of the era. maybe if you find a source for the 6 blade, they may have 2. my email is captdennis29@gmail.com. i have recently been offered a 6 blade but it is an aftermarket, aluminum i think. i may go that way if nothing else turns up.    captden

22 hours ago, capt den said:

dart, i have been looking for a 6 blade fan for my 265 engine in my 54 windsor.about a dozen salvage yards so far and no luck. i got a shroud, but the fan is elusive. they were used on 53/54 dodge and plymouths for sure, and many trucks of the era. maybe if you find a source for the 6 blade, they may have 2. my email is captdennis29@gmail.com. i have recently been offered a 6 blade but it is an aftermarket, aluminum i think. i may go that way if nothing else turns up.    captden

Are you wanting the stamped 6 blade or the 6 blade with rivets? A yard about an hr away has/had several of each. I bought 3 for $100 a couple years ago. I'm kicking around heading back to look for parts for some other cars.