Should BAT terminal on Voltage regulator recieve power with the key off?

OUTFXD

Title says it all.

Jacquilines power regulator gets power to the BAT terminal with the key off.  At some point she was rewired with four colors of radio shack quality wire and poorly executed crimp connectors.  EVERYTHING else (Headlights, break lights, horn, etc ,etc) goes through the ignition key.   I suspect something is off.

Thanks in advance!

Thats pretty custom to have 4 colors ..... usually back in the day they used one color with one size.

I'm impressed they actually used 4 colors ???

You know what you need to do to make yourself happy. ..... Honestly there is no other way to make it correct.

While at the same time ....I might use the existing wire if it worked ..... Yeah I doubt it.

Yeah while it sucks, just not unexpected.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OUTFXD said:

Title says it all.

Jacquilines power regulator gets power to the BAT terminal with the key off.  At some point she was rewired with four colors of radio shack quality wire and poorly executed crimp connectors.  EVERYTHING else (Headlights, break lights, horn, etc ,etc) goes through the ignition key.   I suspect something is off.

Thanks in advance!

Normal.  That lead goes to the cutout relay in the regulator which disconnects the power beyond the regulator when the key is off.  That prevents draining the battery when not running.

• Thanks 2

On 3/11/2023 at 4:10 PM, Los_Control said:

Thats pretty custom to have 4 colors ..... usually back in the day they used one color with one size.

I'm impressed they actually used 4 colors ???

You know what you need to do to make yourself happy. ..... Honestly there is no other way to make it correct.

While at the same time ....I might use the existing wire if it worked ..... Yeah I doubt it.

Yeah while it sucks, just not unexpected.

At least for Mopar they used many colors and the wires had tracers on them that indicated the gauge. Of course when you go to rewire after 70ish years it's hard to see some of that stuff 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:27 PM, Young Ed said:

At least for Mopar they used many colors and the wires had tracers on them that indicated the gauge.

You are 100% correct, best example I have ever seen was a 1951 Suburban that ran the tail light wires up in the head liner. Was cloth covered wires with a tracer color on it & looked brand new because it had been protected over the years.

I was just being sarcastic because the "Wire looked like Radio Shack quality and only 4 colors"

A guy could spend $5 & buy 1 roll of wire & fix the problem back in the 70's-80's .... Or go big time & spend $20 for 4 rolls of different colored wires.

I would be the guy to spend $5. ...... @OUTFXD got lucky because previous owner did things first class.

16 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

You are 100% correct, best example I have ever seen was a 1951 Suburban that ran the tail light wires up in the head liner. Was cloth covered wires with a tracer color on it & looked brand new because it had been protected over the years.

I was just being sarcastic because the "Wire looked like Radio Shack quality and only 4 colors"

A guy could spend $5 & buy 1 roll of wire & fix the problem back in the 70's-80's .... Or go big time & spend $20 for 4 rolls of different colored wires.

I would be the guy to spend $5. ...... @OUTFXD got lucky because previous owner did things first class.

You and the guys at International harvester. My Dad's 75 scout II is wired in baby blue wire everywhere