Rocker clips

Labrauer

Need some information on putting the chrome piece back on the 48 P15 under the doors. It seems that when I put the new clips in the holes they are loose and fall right back out.  Anybody  know of just how these clips are suppose to be installed. Car Clip 4.jfifCar Clips.jfifClips 2.jfif

Clips 3.jfif

Edited by Labrauer
Adding pictures

21 hours ago, Labrauer said:

Need some information on putting the chrome piece back on the 48 P15 under the doors. It seems that when I put the new clips in the holes they are loose and fall right back out.  Anybody  know of just how these clips are suppose to be installed. Car Clip 4.jfifCar Clips.jfifClips 2.jfif

Clips 3.jfif 29.67 kB · 16 downloads

What on earth is a .jfif  ??  Whatever it is, it didn't load.

My 46, the clips bolt to the sill. My 49 first edition has your style clips. I bent the tangs tight, so they would stay in place till I put the moulding trim on, centered it and dropped it down into place and secured it to the clips. The front stud at the front fender and a rear clip, that bolts the rear of the trim to the bottom of the sill holds it in place. If you are missing the rear clip, you might have to fabricate a somewhat t- shaped one. There should be a 1/4”x20 thread on the sill bottom that holds the clip and trim into place. Rick D.

My 46 has the cage nut attachment points all along the rocker.  (Doesn't have any holes as shown in one of your photos.)

EDIT: Factory was Evansville.  (I also have a 49 1st Series that was built in Detroit, but it is not here, and the only photo I can find of the side is not clear enough to know what these points look like for sure.)

image.jpeg.263e23b48ea3b67975399507affa1a7d.jpeg

Edited by Eneto-55
additional comment

Clips 3.pdfClips 3.pdfCar Clips.pdfI still haven't been able to get the rocker molding on the 48 Plymouth coupe installed. It seems that I'm doing something wrong where the clips won't stay in the holes when I try to put the molding on them. Anyone have a solution?

Edited by Labrauer
Adding pictures

It should be just like it is in Eneto-55's picture.  If you are restoring the car, you'll have to cut a piece of body steel to match that opening, cut a 5/16" hole in the centre of it.  You'll have to take measurements as to exactly where the hole goes.  Then spot weld a nut on the back side of that rectangular piece of body steel.  Then weld it in that opening.  

If you're just trying to get the car on the road with a "good enough" result, then I'd suggest taking measurements to find the proper height that the holes should be.  I think there are 9 of them, but maybe 8.  Then just off to the side of those rectangular opening, drill a 3/16" hole and use 5/16" self tapping sheet metal screws to fasten the clips into place.  Use the kind with the large shoulders, that look a bit like a built in lock washer.   

I might be wrong about the fasteners being 5/16".  They may be 3/8".  It's been a few years since I installed those SS strips.  

At the leading end of that SS strip ( tapered end)  there will be a bracket welded on to the back side of it with a threaded stud.  That will line up with a hole in the bottom of the fender a few inches behind the front tire.  Then a washer and nut is threaded on from the back side.  There is a large hole in that box section running along the sill.  That access hole is around 1 1/2" . 

Edited by harmony

To add to what I just said, unless those clips are NOS or like brand new, they usually get bent a bit over time, if they have been kicking around.  Once they are fastened in place, it can be a real pain to try and snap on the SS trim piece.  So if the car is to be "good enough"  I might suggest when drilling 5/16" or 3/16" holes, all the way through that box section.  I think you might need a long drill bit. ( can't remember)  Then fasten the clips with long machine screws  about 3" long.  Put a fender washer, lock washer and nut the long machine and tighten sort of snug.  But not tight.  Then clip on the SS trim, and then proceed to tighten the nuts from under the car, while holding the long machine screw from turning, with vice grips on the end of it.  This way you can also fine tune the leveling and positioning of the SS trim slightly.

In the picture below, this is the way I did it on a "static" project car that was "reconditioned" for a local hospital a few years ago, by myself and our car club. They have it in what they call a Memory Garden for long term residence with memory issues, to sit in and enjoy.  It looks like it is a restored car, but we cut numerous corners since it would never be moved again.  I lowered it 6 1/2" so as to make it more accessible for the elderly with mobility issues.  That's "Harmony", my old girl in the background.  She came in handy for references throughout the project.  In the picture you can see that SS trim piece.

47 reduced.jpg

Edited by harmony

I probably had noticed this before, but had forgotten, I suppose.  Anyway, there are 6 spots on each rocker where the caged nuts are located, but the next to the rear one on the left side has no nut, and no hole.  They must have missed it in the factory.

The bracket at the front is spot welded to the stainless, but the bolt is broken on one side of mine, and the entire bracket is broken off on the other side.  I included a photo of the fender that still has that broken bracket on it.  (Yeah, the front fenders are hanging from the ceiling in our garage.  Not enough storage space.)

PXL_20230307_185322258-small.jpg

PXL_20230307_190813555-small.jpg

PXL_20230307_190830628.MP-small.jpg

Yes Eneto-55 in your picture of the two chrome pieces that's the brackets I have on each end. They are not the problem they bolt in with the bolts the ones I'm having trouble with is the other four that go into the holes between those two. Those holes are about 3/8" wide and 5/8" long. Just can't seem to get the clips to stay engaged in the holes.

harmony I may have to end up doing some drilling as you said if I can't get these clips to stay in place. I just hate the fact of modifying the clips with drilling holes through them and the car but I'll do what I have to to get that piece back on the car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Labrauer said:

Yes Eneto-55 in your picture of the two chrome pieces that's the brackets I have on each end. They are not the problem they bolt in with the bolts the ones I'm having trouble with is the other four that go into the holes between those two. Those holes are about 3/8" wide and 5/8" long. Just can't seem to get the clips to stay engaged in the holes.

Yes, I understood that.  I threw the pictures up just in case anyone needs to see how those end points were attached.  But in the text of my post I responded to a comment someone else made, regarding the number of attachment points in the face of the rockers.  There should be 6 caged nuts on each side (at least on the sedans, assuming on the other models as well, but I do not know).  (I also commented that one of these was missed on my 46 at the factory.  I haven't decided if I will install one in that remaining location, or not.  My rocker moldings are in pretty poor shape, and they are an expensive item from what I've seen here.)  So to clarify, that makes a total of 8 attachment points on each side.  

Just  a quick note on how I skinned this cat. I made and installed new rockers and as such they had no square holes. I used the mechanical fasteners at each end and in the middle, I cut pieces of sheet metal 2 9/16 or such to slide in the trim piece and make a smooth flat surface on the back side. I used double sided tape on the back surface to stick to the smooth face of the new rocker panel. It works on the new vehicles to hold trim on and so far works on my old one. Just my 2 cents worth.

33 minutes ago, uncleaud said:

I used double sided tape on the back surface to stick to the smooth face of the new rocker panel. It works on the new vehicles to hold trim on and so far works on my old one. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the tip. I was not looking forward to making holes in my new rockets.