water pump stud removal

i'm trying to replace a water pump on a 37 plymouth(has 39 engine). T20230301_115947.jpg.92e78f2892e1494fb8d1a4b0b21447c1.jpghe replacement pump I purchased has a thicker mounting boss on the passenger side that requires a bolt instead of using the stud.  We have been unable to remove that stud so far.  Have tried double nuts, heating with a torch to no avail, vice grips, etc.  threads on stud are now damaged.  Any suggestions? 

20230301_115947.jpg

if using a hand held propane torch...will not be effective to heat the stud enough.  You will need an oxy/acete. torch, heat cherry red....let cool a bit, heat it a second time cherry red and when it loses it reddish color...try back it out then and SUGGEST an actual stud wrench for this also.   Two heat cycles are often enough to break/vaporize the rust bond.  

• Like 1

If you have a welder, you might try welding a nut on the stud. Just screw the nut on 1/2 way, then fill it with weld.

This method will not make it stronger, the extra weld will also add heat to the stud & may be enough to break it loose .... plus having the nut you can use a breaker bar on it.

I would go the 'heat cool - heat cool' first,

maybe with the welded nut, without the

proper breaking of the rust, you risk a 

broken stud, heat is your friend here.

I still prefer a good'ol stud remover,

down as close as possible to the base.

In my "never to be humble" opinion  ?

Edited by billrigsby