1947 Chrysler FLUID DRIVE

1947 Saratoga

Hello, I have a 1947 Chrysler Saratoga 8-Cyl fluid drive.  When in first gear at speed, letting off the fuel allows an auto-shift into "first-overdrive".  However, traveling up inclined road, transmission slips in-and-out of gear.  What might be the problem? A fluid drive transmission is such a myster box that I didn't want anybody to touch it during recent engine rebuild.  The transmission has 69,000 original miles on it, with no service that I'm aware of.  Thanks in advance.

Bill

Not much service to do on your M-5 "Hydraulically Operated" transmission.  Just maybe drain and refill it with 10W oil.

First off make sure the trans is full of 10W oil. Fill plug is half way up on the passenger side of the transmission.

Not enough fluid...the trans will kick ot of the higher gear.

May as well check that the fluid drive coupling is full too.

You should read the shop manual on that or someone else can pipe in on that. 

If it's low it will not affect upshifts...it will cause engine speed flare-up and lathargic acceleration.

A damaged or bare transmission circuit wire could cause this issue as well as the delicate governor silver points that get contaminated with trans oil weeping into the governor.

Reading the factory shop manual is a must for working on your 47 Chrysler.

The factory shop manual has it all on the 1946-48 Chrysler M-5 trans.

The 1949-53 M-6  newer Chrysler transmission is different electrically.

Mymopar.com has factory service films to assist on servicing the old mopars.

• Like 2

Hello Gregg G, thanks for your inquiry, "no" I was not at full throttle or anywhere near it to have triggered a downshift, the transmission "came out of gear", then "bam" back in, and repeated one more time until I shifted to stop the possibility of that happening again, thanks.

Bill

Quote:  When in first gear at speed, letting off the fuel allows an auto-shift into "first-overdrive".  However, traveling up inclined road, transmission slips in-and-out of gear.  

Questions: 

Does this happen when you are in "Power" range? Starting off in first gear and having it upshift to second? 

How steep is this inclined road, that you would need first or second gear? 

Usually, we start off in "Drive" range (third gear) and let it upshift to fourth.  The fluid coupling allows this stately acceleration.   Some guys will start in first, but then shift to "power" range. 

There is a Selector Bushing in the Shift Linkage (along the Steering Column) just in front of the Fire Wall that probably needs adjusting.

See Page 20 and 21 in: Transmision Fundamentals Service Book Chrysler Corporation Volumn 2 No.6. Dated 1949.

If the Linkage gets between settings your problem exactly. I know I had it happen to my 1948 Chrysler going up hills here in NC.

These Service Booklets are available to view in You Tube.

Tom

Hello Tom, Donald and Sniper, thanks very much for all this information (especially the "adjustment" to linkage as things were taken apart recently for engine rebuild), I shall certainly follow your advice, once i get it off jack stands as I noticed the rear wheel cylinder is leaking and if you can't stop there's no reason to "go".  Thanks again, I keep you posted once the cylinder comes in and repair is complete, keep motoring.

Bill

• Like 1