1951 Plymouth Concord Spindle Scoring

Pkmcgee

I'm in the middle of a front disc brake conversion and when I disassembled the right front drum brakes, there was some scoring evident on the axle.  My question to the group is this . . .  Since the new hub rides on the bearings, does this scoring even matter.  You can see in the second picture that the portion of the axle that both the inner and outer bearings ride on is free of scoring, so it seems like it should not matter.  

I'm actually not sure what caused the scoring on that part of the axle.  The driver side axle had no issues whatsoever.  Do you guys have any thoughts on whether I should replace the spindle or not.  

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Patrick

SpindleScoring.jpeg

SpindleBearings.jpeg

One good machinist at the factory early in the week did one and the other a lazy machinist after a boozy lunch on Friday afternoon.

No worries as to the rough machining as nothing rides on the area.

DJ

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Even with modern cnc, rough areas like that can happen. Dull tools, aggressive cuts and high feed speeds help pad the bottom line, but make ugly parts. They are nicely finished where they matter.

As a note, my '53 DeSoto spindles looks the exact same.