Fittings, and hoses and flaps Oh my!!!!

greg g

Spent a couple hours chasing oil pressure gauge hose down today. Went from a tractor place that makes hydraulic hoses, to and industrial place that makes hoses to a fastener place that makes hoses who all said they had no compatavle fittings. Went to my the commercial vehicle brake place that did the brakes on my car 5 years ago and while they had fittings that would work, their hose would not be compatable wit hot oil under pressure. Went to my local Aeroquip hose express guy. Counter guy said geez that looks familiar, old chrysler??? Yes I said. "just made on up for my brother's 39 Dodge". Used the last fittings. GRRRR!!!! However will have some in tomorrow, and will have the hose made by early after noon. Just so you know

for future reference.

Fittings are 3/16 reverse flair and the aeroquipe part number is

4743-3-4 the hose is 1/4 in ID press on. the cost will be under 10 bucks.

Flaps??? You ask. Yep for those of you who are interested in restoring rebuilding the piece of rubber that seals the hood and the top of the radiator

(downloadable pattern for the rubber piece in the host site download area) I got from NAPA felpro part number 3187 10x26 Rubber Fiber sheet. Probably get about 6 pieces out of it. Not exactly the same stuff but quite close. Might be a bit stiff but should loosen soften up with under hood heat.

I believe the legal term is LIABILITY stemming from non specified usage.

You're probably right. However, he has more liability working on brakes than just replacing an oil line.:rolleyes: If you blew the oil line, the worst that can happen is you blow an engine. Maybe $3,000 in damages. Do a bad brake job and he could be looking at 10's of thousands or millions in damages. Then again, maybe his insurance wouldn't cover the oil line and it does on his brake work.

A couple years back I noticed a couple of drops of oil on my carpet under the gauge. The fitting on the back of the gauge had worked loose. The gauge was still showing good oil pressure but my point is the oil had worked its way up to the gauge and was leaking. So oil will be inside the rubber hose.

Don is correct. That oil pressure line does get full of oil. It's not like todays car that has a wire off a sensor. The oil pressure goes right to the gauge, directly. I can attest to that first hand. Was in a car my cousin owned as a kid. He had an aftermarket gauge under the dash with just a hose coming into it. Well, as we drove down the street that line blew under the dash and really made a mess. So, there is always oil in there when the engine is running.

I bought a brake line hose to replace mine with over a year ago and it's holding up just fine.:confused:

Norm;

Not sure if you are aware of this but in order to determin if the flexable line going from the engine to the oil pressure gauge is leaking it is necessary to start the engine. Then once the engine is running and the oil pressure comes up you need to actually open the hood and inspect the line while the engine is still running. Not sure if you have had your engine started in the past year.:cool:

Norm;

Not sure if you are aware of this but in order to determin if the flexable line going from the engine to the oil pressure gauge is leaking it is necessary to start the engine. Then once the engine is running and the oil pressure comes up you need to actually open the hood and inspect the line while the engine is still running. Not sure if you have had your engine started in the past year.:cool:

YIKES!!:cool: