Old mopar's. What do I need to know?

matt167

The 50 Plymouth is a good choice  if you are new to this era of Chrysler's products.    As I mentioned before I have not  been without one for over 50 years.

(As a second choice I also have a 51 convertible.)

What I have often said of my 50 Special Deluxe 4 door :" It is cheap to run, economical to repair, keeps up with traffic and can seat six adults.... and  you never get tired of that beautiful dashboard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dpollo said:

The 50 Plymouth is a good choice  if you are new to this era of Chrysler's products.    As I mentioned before I have not  been without one for over 50 years.

(As a second choice I also have a 51 convertible.)

What I have often said of my 50 Special Deluxe 4 door :" It is cheap to run, economical to repair, keeps up with traffic and can seat six adults.... and  you never get tired of that beautiful dashboard.

Yeah,all that.

It does need some tinkering beyond the rockers.. 2 kind of big things that needs fixed ASAP.. First is the truck lock is stuck in the locked position with the trunk in the open position.  I see lots of NOS lock cylinders available, but can the original be fixed? I have a good locksmith available. If not what years actually fits Some of the NOS listings list all different things, none list the same and at $45-100 per, I don't want to buy twice.

2nd is the PO removed the oil filter and is running without it ( he's only ran it  a few months ). Engine has great oil pressure and runs great but I want a filter. It had a disposable and that's why he removed it.. Is there any way I can convert to a spin on and have it work correct? I always have trouble getting the old canisters to not leak. It's either that or a bee hive, but then I'd have to purposely weather it to blend with the car

7 minutes ago, matt167 said:

It does need some tinkering beyond the rockers.. 2 kind of big things that needs fixed ASAP.. First is the truck lock is stuck in the locked position with the trunk in the open position.  I see lots of NOS lock cylinders available, but can the original be fixed? I have a good locksmith available. If not what years actually fits Some of the NOS listings list all different things, none list the same and at $45-100 per, I don't want to buy twice.

2nd is the PO removed the oil filter and is running without it ( he's only ran it  a few months ). Engine has great oil pressure and runs great but I want a filter. It had a disposable and that's why he removed it.. Is there any way I can convert to a spin on and have it work correct? I always have trouble getting the old canisters to not leak. It's either that or a bee hive, but then I'd have to purposely weather it to blend with the car

Vintage power wagons can get you a spin on filter that will work. I had to tinker with the brass fittings... found some at a local auto parts that fit the lines i had. I suppose you can just make new lines with the fittings that work with the canister. Came with the bracket to bolt to the block, got a filter from Napa.

Trunk locks 50-52 should work. Don’t remove the T handle from the base, if you can help it.

i had a locksmith make a key for mine for like, $30.