I'm Back Part 2

LAKOTA169

Just got home after a 10 day stay in the hospital. Same problem as last July. Only this time my swallowing had gotten a lot worse, and speech was very bad. This time, they jumped right on the problem. They have installed a catheter permanently in my neck/collar bone area. They then did a Plasmapheresis (like dialysis) procedure. They did one Friday (the day they installed the cath), and one Saturday. Then they did one Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week. By Sunday, my speech was better than it has been the last 3 years. I spent 6 days in ICU.They put a feeding tube up my nose and into my small intestines past my stomach. That was how I got all my food and meds. They removed the tube on the 11th. Was able to eat solid food. I will now have to probably go for the Plasma treatment about once a month. Was a lot better than the 5 weeks I did in July. They wouldn't let me get out of bed until today when they removed the last IV.

• Like 1

It sounds awful Lakota!   :o   My heart goes out to ya. 

Getting old is....is...well it sucks!  There I said it.   :mad:

Hope you're feeling better after being a hospital lab rat.

• Like 1

Getting old does indeed suck, but it's better than the alternative.   

I have to agree - I'm quite happy this side of the grass. :)

Went to a restaurant today for the first time in months. Had ham, eggs, hash brown potatoes, toast and coffee. Didn't have any problems swallowing the food, and I ate everything. In the recent past, sometimes swallowing food would make me cough. No such problem today.

• Like 2