What size shocks to put on the front end with changed mounts.....

BobT-47P15

A while back, while the son in law was working on the Plymouth, I asked him to attach the new

shock mounts I had bought..........they are either from a Ford or Dodge pickup.  Of course,

the point is to attach the top end of the shocks to a place that is not part of the front suspension system.      

I had noticed that others said they used a different shock than what had been on the car.

So I asked and received some part numbers.

Those shocks were notably longer than my originals.

I put on one pair and drove the car around.........boy, when I hit a bump that front end just

banged hard, because the shock was hitting bottom.  So I tried a different pair.....with the

same result.  Hmmmm.   OK, lets re-use the original shocks and see what happens.  So far,

so good.

I could probably use a shock that is about one inch longer than what I have, but that would be

the max.  

I wonder if those longer shocks some are using are hitting bottom, or how they are working out.

How mine looks now............

DSC03163.jpg

The last longer shock I tried was this Monroe 555004.........which was yellow when I got it, but I

painted it black...............

DSC03166.jpg

shocks are selected on compression and extension values and the position of your top hanger to allow for the travel of the suspension to fall within the range and therefore be able to dampen the movement...this very data is available on the Monroe website and makes you selection easier as it will give these dimension and at the same time will denote the actually mounting orientation of each model...making your choice about as easy as it gets when altering from stock.   The range of the shock and position of the upper arm will all be the results of the measured travel of an unloaded suspension.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Bob I make the same change on my 50 Ply. and had the same problem with the 555004 shock bottoming out. found a shorter shock with the # 555003.

Specs. 555004 compressed length 11.25

extended         "     17.875

travel                       6.625

555003                               9.65

Closest shock that I found that was shorter. Many, many longer avail.

Both are gas filled RV shocks.

Edit to add that this did work out.

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 1

Hi, just stumbled across you post. Where did you buy the bolt on style? I can only find the weld on style. Thanks.

At least from dodges you find someone parting out a truck. Might be found on earlier straight axle cars too.

a very common source is also the late 40's early 50's F1 Fords...and there is a company that is making these retro now that the prices seem to be off the chain for these mounts...you can get luck y and find them if you keep beating the bushes as for a good price??...my best deal has been 2.00 a set at a swap meet....you got to get proactive..they usually do not just land in your lap..

• Like 1

I bought mine on eBay probably 4 or 5 years ago.....had them sitting around for a while. 

And, they appear to need to be spaced out from the frame a bit to line up.

My original style shocks are Monroe Sensatrac 5752, purchased at either o'Reilly or NAPA---not sure which

place -- it's been a while.

They went on OK, but it seems to me they should be about one inch longer.