Chrome Plating? Wow!

grey beard

At the Labor Day Kruse Car auction flea market I ran into a guy selling chrome plating from an outfit in western PA - Paul's Chrome. He gave me his card and when I got home, I packed up my B1B hood ornament and headlight doors. I figured since these trucks have very little bright stuff, might as well show off what little they have.

Now I'll grant you, my stuff was pitted some, but it looked really nice from ten especially after I ran it over my wire wheel. The price quote was within ten dollars of what I paid for the truck - $990 to do three pirces. Sorta made me sing soprano there for a minute or two.

Guess I'll leave those almost really neat "ten footers" on for a while. Maby silver paint . . . . . .

Anybody have better connections for plating?

Dave Erb

New Holland, PA

I've heard from many people you can't compare bumper plating to other pieces. Hood ornaments etc with all the little details in them require more attention. We've been using a shop in WI. I can get the # if needed.

Dave,

There are two chrome shops within an hour of me here in Ca. 2 years ago one of them re-chromed this hood ornament for my 35 Dodge for only $75. Tripple plate. The company's name is AAA Plating in Sacramento,Ca.

The other shop did a clock bezel ( 5" square) for $65 about a year ago. If you can't find anyone more reasonable in your area maybe you could ship your parts to these guys.MVC-010F.jpg

We still have a local fellow who does plating. I had 2 tail lamp bezels, and my stop light bezel done three years ago for about 225 bucks. The lamp pieces were moderatly pitted. I did not order his show quality plating. He also did a bumper and 2 bumper gaurds done for 300. My small parts were there about a month, and went with some stuff that was sent over by my friend who owns a restoration shop and sends a lot of business his way. Perhaps if you send me a few pics of your pieces he might take a look and give you a guesstimate. If it looks good you could send your parts, ( Shop is located in Sryacuse, NY) up and I would drop them off. He seems to work a little cheaper if a case of Miller long necks show up with the parts, that is a logistical thing that can be worked out if necessary.

Hey if your in Southern California, I got the guy for chrome and polishing, it is called A & B Polishing. HIs name is Apolonia Barbosa, I don't know where he gets his chrome done, but he takes it somewhere and either he rents the tanks or he has someone do it for him. He stands behind his work and is cheap. You almost have to speak spanish but I reckcomend him highly. his shop is at 8940 Benson Ave. Montclair Ca. 91763. Phone # 909 949 8228. let it ring a long time. He has done my bumpers on my El Camino and my Plymouth coupe, I think he charged me $350 for both bumpers and four bumper guards on my Plymouth. The pot metal stuff he will not Guarantee, cause he has to grind out the pits, and sometimes he can't get them out. Tony C

Hey if your in Southern California, I got the guy for chrome and polishing, it is called A & B Polishing. HIs name is Apolonia Barbosa, I don't know where he gets his chrome done, but he takes it somewhere and either he rents the tanks or he has someone do it for him. He stands behind his work and is cheap. You almost have to speak spanish but I reckcomend him highly. his shop is at 8940 Benson Ave. Montclair Ca. 91763. Phone # 909 949 8228. let it ring a long time. He has done my bumpers on my El Camino and my Plymouth coupe, I think he charged me $350 for both bumpers and four bumper guards on my Plymouth. The pot metal stuff he will not Guarantee, cause he has to grind out the pits, and sometimes he can't get them out. Tony C

Hey...that's near where I live. I have to go check him out. One thing, though...if he's a guy, then his name would be Apolonio, not Apolonia, which is a woman's name. If you called him the second one, he might get offened, and then you might not get a good deal. Kind of like calling you Tawny instead of Tony. LOL!

Guest ross0901

I deal with a in Tennessee, he does a good job. His name is Bubba, Chrome Wizard 1-615-248-3553 alittle slow but reasonable priced. I'll send you a picture of the Ram I had done for my 48 Dodge.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ross0901

Guys, I sent a message much earlier reference chrome replating, maybe the price has gone up because I feel I got my head tore up on a bumper. My guy in Tennessee is charging me $600 to do a bumper and that not including the bumper guards for a 48 Dodge. God, I'm in to deep to turn around with my Rod but there must be another replater somewhere cheaper. Can anyone HELP!!!

I paid $600 EACH for 46 Chrysler windsor bumpers and $2400 for all of the pot metal on the car which was the grill, whiskers, and hood ornament-- so I have $3600 in bright work-- soo hard to find NOS anymore-- so I guess it was worth it I got the bumpers from Bumper Boys-- they have lots of Mopar stuff if you ask them==

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/thedahmer/ebay093.jpg

Hey Ross, Why don't you check out the cost to ship it to California, I am sure that Apolonio would do it for $200 or less. I don't know if he will do any shipping, but if not I would help you on that end. Tony C

If you ship bumpers do it by Greyhound (bus) freight. They are by far the cheapest way to go and I have never had a problem.

You do need to pick up and drop off at the nearest bus terminal but well worth it.