1986 Chrysler 318 going in my 1941 Plymouth

Dick41

Project:
Engine - 1986 Chrysler 318 - 3 speed standard bell & trans. Going in 1941 Plymouth P 11 business coupe.  I would like to use my 41 trans. to keep the emergency brake setup. Parts swap refrence charts do not show if my 41 standard 3 speed Plymouth tranny will bolt up to a 318 standard tranny bell housing. If not, I will install the 3 speed standard coming with the engine. Anyone here know?

I have studied the prior posts here for days. Great info. from the been there-done that folks. You can't beat personal experience! I didn't find a thread on a source for an adapter to mate this 318 engine/bell housing to the stock 3 speed 41 tranny?

Adapter Sources Tried: So far Speedway doesn't have an adapter, same for Wildcap, and Bendtsens. Waiting to hear from Butch's Cool Stuff. Any info. on an adapter, or a link that I didn't find?

Speedway or Butch's do have all the motor mount parts needed.

A major thank you for those prior posts.

Dick41

Dick, welcome to the best mopar forum around, these guys know their stuff........I have had a 318 Poly in my 1940 Dodge since 1973, however I also used the cast iron Torqueflite Auto and changed the rear axle etc  as I didn't think the original rear end let alone would like the increased HP.........as for adapting the 1941 gearbox to a 1986 bellhousing I doubt if an adaptor exists and I think you would be better in the long run swapping the whole engine/gearbox/diff for ease of work etc........their may have been an adaptor to fit the Polys to the earlier gearbox back in the mid/late 1950's  when the Mopar V8's were introduced but 50yrs on I doubt if any still existed and the current speed shops wouldn't have had a call for this sort of thing..........so me?.......I'd stick with the later trans if I were doing this now........btw the later 318 is a much better fit overall than the 318 poly I used, have attached a pic........regards, andyd    

post-612-0-10254700-1398807059_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-76835200-1398807138_thumb.jpg

The A904 automatic that came with the 318 is the easiest. The 904 will provide torque multiplication to allow changing the rear axle to enable lower cruising RPMs

Many thanks to Andy and Tim.  Nice looking car there!    As you might imagine, I am driving family and friends nuts with this decision.  I get prices of about $2200 to rebuild the L head 6.   I have a line on the 318 with auto trans, complete, plus a standard 3 speed transmisson and bell, etc. for about $900 plus $300 shipping.  Lots of trick chrome on the engine which comes out of a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker.  Either way I go, this 41 is going to stay Mo Par.

Going with all runnng gear front to back answers the emergency brake thing.  Any recommendatiion on a rear end?   Back in the day (way back - 1959) I drag raced a 58 Dodge with a 383 & 4bbl Carb., 3 speed automatic (typewriter dash shifting).   I put a Plymouth 6 rear end (1950 as i recall) rear end in it.  After relocating the spring brackets it was fine.  That let me buy the rear end modules at about $20  each.  I was able to find rear end gearing as low as .456 and .411s were plentiful too.   That super horsepower wasn't too bad on the rear end.  Though I did go through several sets of spider gears over a  2 year time.   I am going to have to crawl under and see what gear ratio is in the 41 at present.

How about the driver side exhaust and starter clearance issues?  Did you offest your motor, or have headers made...or did it all fit?  How was the right side valve cover fit at firewall?  

Did the automatic go in ok in the floor area or did you have to do some firewall and/or floor cutting?  I would like to not have to cut the 41 if posssible.

Again, the deal on the complete 3 speed standard transmission and all parts (bell, flywheel, clutch, disc. throwout, etc.) was too good to pass up for $125 extra.  So, I will have that option if I want to stay with 3 on the tree as at present.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Dick41

Dick41,

I have an old 318 LA with a 904 automatic tranny in my 47 Plymouth and love the setup because it is so easy to drive and so reliable. I have had plenty of manual transmission cars and do not miss the shifting at all. You are not going to save money by choosing the V8 route. It will cost you 50% or 100% more than you think because...it will be a street rod project....nothing will fit easily...everything will have to be moved or modified a little...it will take months and months and months.

But it can be a great Mopar learning experience and if you do it right you will have a ride that is a pleasure to drive. Yeah, it can be worth it.

Definitely go with the modern trans.  An automatic in your Plymouth would be kinda novel which is its own reward.  You'll probably have to modify the trans cover/floor board but that's a separate piece which you can do outta the car.  Also plan on moving the engine toward the pass. side 1.00-1.50" for steering, starter, exhaust clearance.  I did somewhat the same mod. on my P15 and I'm very pleased with the result.   Mopar did that offset on production cars in the 50s and no one noticed.

Three on the tree will still require some fiddling with linkage so it's not exactly a bolt in.  I'd suggest your convert to a dual MC as long as you're down there.  And, whether auto or 3 spd, a later model rearend better handles your V8 and they are dirt cheap at the wrecking yards.  There is a list somewhere on this forum of of viable candidates that I'm not smart enough to recall.  Perhaps one of the others on this forum will chime in with that information. 

If you want a manual trans think about the AX-15 5 speed they put in Dodge Dakotas behind the 5.2 and 3.9. Same bellhousing pattern so either will bolt to your engine. They use a hydraulic clutch which can faily easily be adapted to your pedal and the floor shifter eliminates shift linkage hassles. You can easily fabricate a 40's era shift handle if you want to keep it period correct looking. I had one in my 51 Plymouth behind a 318; great hiway cruising manners.

Hello All:

I thank you for that width chart.  i will ask the people where I am buying the engine to do a measurement from outside of hub to outside on that car's rear end.   FYI:  The 318 engine I am considering is coming from Fredrick, Maryland enroute N. California.  Donor is 1986 Chrysler N.Y.  Much chrome, etc. 

I am about 2 hours from the nearest recyclers yard (what we used to call Wrecking Yards) in Sacramento. So, I am wondering if it would be worth my $$$  in shipping to have them include the rear end from that car?   I have had several replies encouraging me to change to the modern rear end.  That would solve the need to replace the orginal tranny emergency brake.  I am definitely listening to all of you and acting acordingly. :D

I am buying the engine with auto tranny, an extra 3 spd. manual tranny with bell, clutch, flywheel, etc., all ignition modules, driveshaft, aux. tranny cooler, etc.   They are throwing in a lot of extras for no extra $$.  I think their initial price is a little high but the engine looks good and is guaranteed to run good.  I am trying to get contact info. for the P/O to pick his brain on what was done to the mill.The original e Bay listing, if interested can be seen at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-ENGINE-1985-86-87-88-89-5TH-AVENUE-ENGINE-8-318-5-2L-VIN-P-VINTAGE-MOPAR-/271386855450?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=VJxvXojl6sR8IH3Xz8mLn49MY04%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Listing is closed but it will open if you double click on the picture that says Ended and scroll down.  Car not wrecked.  Prior owner drove it in.

I just downloaded the Speedway Catalog in search of motor mount adapters for the front.

I am very very grateful.   I read until 3 AM all the relevant threads I could find.  I am sure there are more though!  Not to seem dense (though I can do that quite well :rolleyes:I found  severak threads, regarding offsetting the motor to the right.  Very interesting.  if I understand the idea, everything in the drive train center line (from front engine damper pulley to rear of transmission) would be offset to the right 1" to 1 1/2".  From the transmission U joint continuing to the rear end, there would be a minor angle adjustment for the driveshaft/u joints to accomodate.   Have you readers done it this way?  Have you encountered any probems having done this adjustment?   Apparently the Chrysler Factory folks did it this way too.

I am good with the offset.  Other posts suggest certain stock exhust manifolds remove the need to offset.   If that is true, can someone tell me which stocker manifold I am looking for.   I am not sure which manifolds, or if custom headers would do the job.  :confused:

Thank you all for advising me.

Don:   My first car was  1948 Plymouth 4 door.  Very nice (Yours....not my old ride from back in the day :D !)

Dick41

If you get the rear end from the donor car your 41 Plymouth will think it is an 86 New Yorker. Besides running reliably it will be the right gear ratio and strengh, and it will greatly simplify ordering repair parts. Just tell the parts supplier you need brakes, tune up parts, or an alternator for an 86 New Yorker and they can source it for you. Get the power steering pump and air conditioner compressor included with the engine in case you decide to use them some time in the future. A drive shaft can be fabricated or modified by a driveline specialty shop for a surprisingly low cost. They often service the trucking and agriculture industry. Get the uncut parking brake cables with the rear end so you can rig up your parking brake.

I am at a loss as to why you would ship a 318 across the country...There are tens-of-thousands of them on the West coast...

A quick look at craigslist for Sacto shows dozens including a nice looking 85 D100 swb for $750.

Hi Wayfarer:

Your help is appreciated.  I sent you a P M just now for more info.

Thanks

Dick 41

I just sent this in PM to wayfarer.  He got me looking at local Craig's Listings though i had not done so before his suggestion.  I thought the rest of you might want to know how the project is going:

Hi Gary:  

Your referral to Craig's list paid off.    I found a guy nearby (60 miles) that has a 1971 Demon f/s.   I looked at it yesterday and the running gear part looks very good.  The car is pretty rough and is a project that he wasn't going to finish.  The guy is a diesel mechanic and completly rebuilt the engine.  Comes with tube headers, 4 bbl 650 holly, 4 spd. manual tranny, driveshaft, rear end, etc.  I attached the craig's list add fyi.

https://sacramento.c...4445442547.html

Best part, he will do the swap for me @ $650.  Mounts, rear end swap, any welding, etc  No mess on my driveway.  I take him the 41. This whole deal won't be much more than what it would have cost to buy the east coast items and ship them here.   Plus, rebuilt mill, 4 speed manual, and labor very reasonable.  I cannot thank you enough for steering me in a different direction than where I was headed.

In addition, he and I are 50-50 partners in selling what is left of the Demon.  Maybe there will be some interest in body parts, etc.

I am looking for those 60-70s A body 318 exhaust headers if you know a source!

Dick41 :)