Started the teardown, and now the build up.

casper50

The last piece of the main body that needs replaced is the rear floor stiffener.  2nd photo is mine unfortunately. It's way too far gone for my skill set.  Called Dan at Kemp's Rod and Restoration in MI to see if he made this part.  He does.  1st photo.  Not cheap by any means but it's a very complicated part.  Ordered it a few minutes ago.

That hot link lead to a page on Amazon for a rear stiffener for a Honda Civic. Do you have a URL for Dan or Kemps?

it helps the time go by.  Sometimes hours go by without me even looking at a clock.

Ahhh,yes! I remember those days of long ago,back when I was building Harley's. Go out to the barn after dinner,turn the radio on,and start work. Next time I would look up hours would have passed.

GREAT therapy.   When things are going well,of course. Not so great when they're not.

Rustoleum Professional grade primer and black top coat.   Since it's been setting around in the shop it's been bumped quite a few times.  No chips or anything as of yet.

Thanks. I plan on using Rustoleum to paint my 39 IHC and my 42 Dodge. Going to use rollers and spray cans. Going to get fancy with the 51 Ford business coupe because Rusoleum doesn't even make a color close to the factory color I want. Still probably going to paint it with rollers and spray cans,though.

Thank you. I'm going to need them once I start in on my 42. Believe it or not,it's a little rustier than yours was. Even the bottom of my front crossmember is rusted out from a rat or mice nest.

And the seller told me there were no rust holes in the car,only surface rust. It was so bad the guy I hired to bring it to me called me and asked me if I really wanted it. I told him,"Yeah,I have already paid the guy and I have to pay you for going there,so bring it on.

He had a list of what was supposed to go with them car,and he then told me all the spare garnish and other parts in the trunk were missing,and so was the hubcaps,carb,and coil. I asked the guy I bought the car from about that,and he told me "My son is the one that came by yesterday to help me pump the tires up and move it around front so your guy could load it,and he said something about he knew where he could sell some of that stuff,so I guess he took it."  Just like there was nothing wrong with that.

here's what was under the plate and lead.  They brazed the plate down and leaded over it.  They didn't even remove or kill the rust before they put it on. 2nd photo is the front of the fender.  The never ending rust story.

post-6321-0-74355600-1450380791_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-64129900-1450380809_thumb.jpg

here's what was under the plate and lead.  They brazed the plate down and leaded over it.  They didn't even remove or kill the rust before they put it on. 2nd photo is the front of the fender.  The never ending rust story.

I got to the point a couple of years ago where I no longer buy shiny cars with good paint jobs. I always paid more money for the damn things because they were presentable,and not long after buying them they started to fall apart as the rust popped through the plastic and paint.

It's a hell of a lot more work to fix other people's "repairs" than it is to just fix honest rust you can see. Cheaper,too.

I do have to confess I am finding up to 4 layers of paint in places on my 51,with a lot of surface rust underneath it. Somebody had sanded most of it down to the bare metal at some time in the distant pass,and then just painted right over it without using primer. Still,I haven't found any plastic anywhere but in the trunk lid where it was hit by something.

Was that butt-welded or overlapped? ln a early photo it looked like it was overlapped,and in the later photos it looks to be on the same level as the original steel.

I shape it over the original metal then cut and butt weld.

Thanks. Do you make a flange for the new piece to sit in,or do you just butt-weld?

Arthur

If this is your first time, then you are a natural!

Yeah,I will second that one! It may even be what you were born to do.

• Like 1

Hey Casper, haven't been around for the summer so just catching up. Progress is great, looking really good, well done. Makes a big difference being able to use cuts from other cars and replacement panels, but good to see your fabrication skills coming to the front on the patching and fender panels.

If you haven't already have a look at the metalshaping and metalmeet forums, some really good insights in there.

Started back on mine this weekend, so hope I can catch up!! :)

Cheers,

MM

• Like 1

I just keep plugging away.  I'm pretty close to finishing the hard time consuming parts.  Have to sandblast left front fender, both inner fenders, engine dust guards and front and rear body to bumper panels.  Then all the bodywork.  After that it should be smooth sailing and cash.

• Like 1

Ha ha, smooth sailing and cash - I like that. the best bit about the time consuming stuff is its mostly "free" time :) then you buy all the bits you can't make and it gets very expensive :(

Paul.

• Like 1

I spent the last 8 years collecting replacement panels for my Mach I and over the last 3 to 4 years found the time to install them, in between other projects or as a break from the repetitive work the other projects demanded.  The drain on the pocket got spread out and wasn't near as painful as trying to put a single order in.  I purchased them in the order I was going to install them so there was always the next needed part ready whenever I found the time, even if all the parts I would eventually need were not.  When putting a project together, there's always something that could be sanded or cleaned so even if the cash isn't  around. you can still be productive.