1949 Chrysler Windsor Highlander

kenbiello

Don could be right. (he's probably always right) I don't think I've ever seen an ad or any other picture of a old Dodge/Chrysler/Desoto/Plymouth with a factory visor....come to think of it.

Way back, I mean like in the '70's, I was in a junkyard where the workers had taken all the visors off the 40's and '50's cars, and put them in a big pile with a sign that said: "$5.00 each". I bought one and put it on my 1949 International. I sure liked it, sure was functional.

ken.

I'm guessing that's an aftermarket visor on the car. I think I'd almost kill to find an original (style/type/stock) visor for Lumpy. I imagine they are a little bit pricey.

ken.

I have one of those on my 41 coupe.  Got if off eBay a few years ago for like $40.  It was new in the box, wrapped in newspaper from 1951.  I can’t remember who marketed it, but I have the original box somewhere.

I’ve since gotten a nice Fulton, also from eBay.  Won the auction for $200 and it was right here in Omaha, so no shipping.  I still need to get it and my skirts painted so I can install them.

post-250-0-26201300-1393525387_thumb.jpg

post-250-0-48315600-1393525440_thumb.jpg

Factory Mopar outside visors were made and installed. I have seen them.

Glad to have another Highland in the group! My car is very close to a survivor. I have added a Fulton visor and did the front disk upgrade. The interior was redone with NOS material that came out of a Mopar fabric supplier's old warehouse in MI. Other than new rubber and tune-up items it is as it was when it came off the line in '48. It also had most of the available options.

white spyder,

thanks!   other than the whole interior basically missing, it seems all original too.

20k original miles too.

what are the current values of these cars?  if I attempt a full restoration, where's the cut-off?

I won't spend more to restore than what the overall car will be worth, right?  LOL

ken

Don,

Thanks!   I am picking up a lot so far. Car runs great. Needs all belts, hoses, etc.  Brakes are shot.

So I'm in for some warm weather work soon!

Any thoughts on the interior?  Headliner, door panels, carpet, seats, etc....

where to source?  thank you!

anyone have opinions on this electric, locking gas cap?  if you lost the keys, you're screwed, right?

ken

Well, I would consider getting rid of that gas cap. My first P15, which was our family car when I was a kid had one. It failed, and my Father ripped it off with the business end of a claw hammer. Just my opinion based on personal experience!

Wayne

OLDGUY48,

thanks!   the cap is stuck, and won't budge.  it was probably a neat idea back then, but I already am experiencing that pain!

incidentally, I lived in Stroudsburg, PA, from 2003 to 2007

exit 299, Tannersville........

• Like 1

white spyder,

thanks!   other than the whole interior basically missing, it seems all original too.

20k original miles too.

what are the current values of these cars?  if I attempt a full restoration, where's the cut-off?

I won't spend more to restore than what the overall car will be worth, right?  LOL

ken

From what I have been able to find, a top end of 25k for a hard top. Convertibles go for more and a woodie convertible is the holly grail. The real question as they say is what is is to the next guy who buys it !

thanks spyder, falconvan.......

it might be for sale soon, so if you know anyone looking......

I read on some post a few days ago that someone was looking for a Spitfire motor and

Fluid Drive tranny.......

Edited by kenbiello

Is that a green plastic visor???

They were simply another accessory available at various places like Western Auto, J C Whitney, and others.

There were also the plastic wind wings and the headlight visors and bug deflectors......you could have a matched set.  

m6T6kOpJGOtGHr7LtIBXRfg.jpg    mTE3drKH9o-21bj0OFBKlUg.jpg   mMC1h_yOw3Z2-OLAXLyUYsQ.jpg

my visor has a purple tint to it. it's not painted metal. there are no other pieces to it.

thanks!

car will probably be going on ebay soon, or Boston Craigslist. would rather sell whole vs cutting it up,

but if anyone has something specific that you need, please let me know.

kenbiello@gmail.com

thanks!

This project car sure ended up in the gutter! Poor little unwanted Windsor :(

nah, not the gutter!   hopefully to a good Windsor home.
it's big sister was here first, and needs her restoration completed!  LOL

1964 Chrysler 300K Letter Car   Cross Ram 413

• 2 weeks later...

Great car. Here is the one I had back in 1962. It cost $100.00 and I had it for 7 years. I wish I had kept it. I must say that your outside sunvisor is one style that I have never before seen. Good luck to you.

John R

49chrysler.jpg

Holy cow, John, I've read your book! … I didn't realize you were a frequenter of this forum!