53 Dodge build thread

53dodgekustom

Wow that steering arm setup turned out nice! Lookin good man. I've been workin on my wagon here and there, just got my rear spring perches and everything to finish the front disc brake swap yesterday.

Awesome. Hope yours go's on easy! Just got my three inch dropped leaf springs for the back today. Should be back on the ground soon I hope.

your front suspension  stuff  looks great,,,  question on your steering arms,,  I see that you have 2 curved arms,,,before they were bent, were both  curved ??  reason  im asking is on my 40 dodge  you do the same flip  from side to side and rebend usually 1  steering arm ,,,the stock  arms on my  car  only 1  is curved and 1 is almost straight,,,cant wait to see your stance when on the ground,,,

your front suspension stuff looks great,,, question on your steering arms,, I see that you have 2 curved arms,,,before they were bent, were both curved ?? reason im asking is on my 40 dodge you do the same flip from side to side and rebend usually 1 steering arm ,,,the stock arms on my car only 1 is curved and 1 is almost straight,,,cant wait to see your stance when on the ground,,,

Nope. Same as your car. You flip the bent one so it now bends down and you bend the straight one to match.

I can't wait too! Hopefully drop the drivetrain in tomorrow.

Well I have everything painted and ready to go back together!! This is where it starts to get exciting!

Had some 3 inch drop leaf springs made at St.Louis Spring. My old one's were so weak that the car actually sits about the same. Still running a 3inch block aswell so it should be slammed. I still have 3 inches or more of travel and the new springs are nice and stiff so I think it should ride decent. 

29E90235-C1A2-4965-ACA6-9A181B4956CD_zps

Painting the suspension stuff with the same Eastwood chassis paint I did the frame in.

AD400708-18A2-4670-85A9-7A07117E9346_zps

Completed front end. It was difficult getting some of the rubber seals in but besides that it went smooth.

01229658-810C-4B92-87A5-07B5C028B422_zps

Cut the floor out more for the new master cylinder.

BC8283BB-2A07-4C4E-83AE-699BB7A607D3_zps

My friend Jonathan and soon to be cousin inlaw came over to lay down the paint for the engine stuff. He is way better at the paint gun than I am and a hoot to have around! Haha.

E1E947A5-D92F-44F7-9B57-44FC52041223_zps

The result.

0DC5A26B-456C-4684-AA2A-BEC7CEC52507_zps

Hopefully I can drop the drivetrain in there tomorrow and get all four wheels back on the ground!

I agree with fstfish66 on the color request. Engine colors always interest me. Oft times a great color, like yours, won't look good with other car colors, This one in a bed of blue is going to be a real eye catcher. Too bad it will be hidden under the hood. Been following your build, learned a lot. Thank you. 

Oh, I am so envious! Now I'm a bit further behind, but have turned the cleaning sorting corner. I will reread this thread when I get back to that point. What you have done to the front suspension is inspiring. With a new shop and tools, I well soon be tooling again. 

Engine still on the stand, Mopars don't go down easily!

Fire4pm001_zps4754a79b.jpg

One table of four, salvaged parts. Most of these were once a nice shining black, just waiting to be installed. 

FirePartssalvagedtable002_zpsa4621c38.jp

[/url]

In storage, down but not out!  They will rise again to greater heights. The burnt one is a 218 the other a 56 Plymouth 230. 

Garagefiretruckremoval006_zps8c7ee27c.jp

Edited by pflaming

Oh, I am so envious! Now I'm a bit further behind, but have turned the cleaning sorting corner. I will reread this thread when I get back to that point. What you have done to the front suspension is inspiring. With a new shop and tools, I well soon be tooling again. 

Fire4pm001_zps4754a79b.jpg

One table of four, salvaged parts. Most of these were once a nice shining black, just waiting to be installed. 

FirePartssalvagedtable002_zpsa4621c38.jp

In storage, down but not out!  They will rise again to greater heights. The burnt one is a 218 the other a 56 Plymouth 230. 

Garagefiretruckremoval006_zps8c7ee27c.jp

wow sorry  to see,, hope  every one is ok and glad to  see you can get it all back together,,,

Oh man! That's horrible. I'm guessing that just happened? Shop fire?

Hope you can get things going again. 

dumb  question,, did  you  change your  front coil springs or were the  originals  still good ?  as  stated  i too learned a lot following your build and  cant wait to get on mine  thanks  keep it going your doing great

Still using the stock coils with one coil cut. If it still rides like a boat I might get new Ford Areostar springs as they fit and are stiffer than the stock ones. 

That's just heartbreaking.

Still using the stock coils with one coil cut. If it still rides like a boat I might get new Ford Areostar springs as they fit and are stiffer than the stock ones. 

the mounting of the front shocks to the frame verses the upper A arm should stop the boat  motion,from every thing i have read

• 3 weeks later...

Almost have the car back on the road! Between running all new brake lines, new fuel line. and buttoning up all kinds of other little stuff. it's been a long three weeks of getting seemly nowhere. But I now have working brakes and it have fired up the engine. Getting close!

I worked on my clutch linkage and got that all nice and tight again. As you can see I was missing all the little tension springs and the linkage was getting beet up without it. I simply made some bushings in the lathe and welded them in. Nice and smooth now.

41311B82-4A91-4865-942A-4B9A582B0A8D_zps

Some pics of the brake and fuel lines.

Master cylinder

473244C6-299F-46AE-92FC-61E1897D6312_zps

Fuel filter and rear brake line.

7CAC036C-202B-4182-8E04-F373FEAC3950_zps

E9D6AAE6-1DA4-4072-9F2B-B8F9320EB03C_zps

ADA502FA-DDD6-4C89-B926-9EB4492F1111_zps

6D931CA4-4361-491F-99B1-3B0495B06333_zps

Actually had some nice weather for a change and I washed and waxed the wheels and tires.

3DE44865-132C-4A20-9A31-AC9B15F3E2DC_zps

Put some fancy sparkplug wires on it.

CE29B897-F787-4C3F-BA4B-EFE6831C1642_zps

Got it fired up without a hitch!!

50A5DEA3-64A5-445C-BBDA-EE767D1C11C4_zps

My friend and his dad came over yesterday and helped me put the front sheet metal on. What a job it is to get that all aligned!!! It looks nicer than it ever has now though. The suspension should settle more as a drive it.

It's low though!

D82AC332-C377-4321-87B4-0AB4E5007875_zps

• Like 1