New Here

Hi guys, I am new here and just purchased a 1949 b1b. Its in rough shape and wondering if there is anyone else on here from Iowa that may be able to help me locate some parts. Thanks Matt

welcome!   You have in your backyard one of the suppliers for parts.  Look up Vintage Power Wagons.  They have lots of the mechanical parts you might need.  I think there is a yard in Albert Lea that might have some PH trucks, at least from the posts on Epay they do when they are parting out trucks.  Post pictures!

we

Welcome. As Mark says, Vintage Power Wagons has many mechanical parts that will work for you. They won't have much for body parts for your truck since they specialize in Power Wagons, but many of the mechanicals interchange. I believe they are in Fairfield, just east of Ottumwa. Also, don't rule out your favorite auto parts stores. They can still get most engine and brake parts, as well as other pieces. They likely won't have it in stock, but should be able to order it in. Otherwise, when in doubt just ask. One of us might even have a spare of whatever you need. And check the Classifieds section. Someone may be parting one out and have what you need for a good price.

By the way... you aren't too far off my potential route if I make the California road trip that's been talked about recently.

Merle

As far as Mechanical I am still debating what way to go. Right now I'm thinking about doing a frame replacement to get front independent. I've been looking at either s10 or ranger beings the wheel base matches up very closely and also leaning towards a 318/727 drive train. Nothing in stone. I seen this truck and we sort of fell in love with it and Im selling my 66 f100 I had intentions of building to try and help build the dodge. Might be rough with a family that is all GM. My dad and brother both have had early 50s chevy trucks. Thank you guys for all the assistance at this point it has been greatly appriciated

The wheelbase may be about right on a s-10 but the track width is wrong (too narrow IMO).  Eastwood is doing a Pilothouse with a S-10 and you can see how far under the fenders the tires sit.  Early Dakotas are already setup for 318s, track width is about  right, just needs to be shortened a bit to work.  There's several Dakota swaps going on right now and a search will bring up a lot of info.   Welcome to the forum.

Not too bad.

Forget Ranger and S10, the short bed standard cab Ranger has the correct wheelbase, but that's about it. You can harvest the rear axle from one and make it work, but it is a good bit narrower than the stock pre-8.75" rear axle.

IFS? You've got 4 corner leaf springs already, throw in a transfer case and a CJ7 or better yet J-10 front/rear axle combo. Simple spring over conversion on the axles and it will be a nice truck. IFS takes all the fun out of it. If I didn't already have all the parts to turn my 49 3 window (standard cab) into a 50s kustom/lowrider, I'd be doing a 4x4 conversion. And may still when I get bored with the lowrider (already have a Cal style Super Beetle low low rotting away in the barn).

Welcome to the forum. You and the boys should have a blast with it.

And if you really want to run a 318, go wide block. Get a 54-56 frame and it basically drops right in. 1954 was available with a 241 V8, has the correct crossmembers and mounts already.

Edited by Scruffy49

Ive been looking at the dakota possibility but also working on a tight budget. The dakotas around here seem to be worth anywhere from 700-1000. I have a s10 frame available but nothing has been set in stone yet. Still trying figure out what way to go with it while getting the peices I know i need. As far as the 4x4 that really just isnt my thing. I love the look of stock would just like to add some newer comforts.

My budget precludes a frame swap or 4x4 conversion. I've got a wrecked 92 Ranger long bed I'm harvesting most of my donor parts from. Rear axle, driveshaft will be shortened to fit, possibly ac/heat (may go in my 69 Sweptline with a worn out heater that is stuck on), possibly the seats, master cylinder, dome light, etc. No sense buying stuff when I can repurpose them from a "low" mileage parts junker.

I suppose I could just swap the PH body onto my 85 C10 short wide, but... an anemic 4.3L V6 and 3 speed slush-o-matic isn't worth the headaches.

Edited by Scruffy49