Removing Bellhousing From 1940 218 Engine

40desoto

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove the bellhousing off of the engine block without removing the flywheel beforehand.   Im stumped Ive read the entire shop manual and no reference to the bellhousing.  I pulled the engine with the transmission connected.  Removed the transmission from the bellhousing back.  The belhousing is a two piece I removed the lower part but seems like the top half does not come off without removing the flyweel..  Does this sound correct?

I see pictures of 218 engines being pulled out of cars with only the flywheel and no bellhousing.. 

Gotta pound the 1/2" dowel pins part way into the bell housing. One on each side of the rear of block.

Gentle use of a pry bar once you double check al the bolts are out. Should slide back. Took a 3 on the tree off a 230 a couple weeks ago, pulled trans, pulled bell, then pulled pressure plate and flywheel off. Flywheel is the hard part.

Had to slightly pry on both sides of the bell, and then it slid off like it was new.

Edited by Scruffy49

Won't slide back if the dowels are in, hits the flywheel. The 1/2" dowels are just above the oil pan seam. Use a drift punch to drive them out towards the flywheel. When they are out you can lift the bell housing straight up. 

I had the same problem taking off the bellhousing in my '41. I ended up taking the flywheel off then the bellhousing, I also ground the drift pins down about an 1/8" so the bellhousing can slide between them and the flywheel without having to drive them out.

I had the same problem taking off the bellhousing in my '41. I ended up taking the flywheel off then the bellhousing, I also ground the drift pins down about an 1/8" so the bellhousing can slide between them and the flywheel without having to drive them out.

I assume you will replace the ground down dowell pins. Were it my engine I would do so.

Won't slide back if the dowels are in, hits the flywheel. The 1/2" dowels are just above the oil pan seam. Use a drift punch to drive them out towards the flywheel. When they are out you can lift the bell housing straight up. 

Thank You...  I will try this.  Your correct when the dowels are in I cannot pull the bellhousing up and out..  Do you guys know why there are no instructions on how to take off on the shop manual?

I assume you will replace the ground down dowell pins. Were it my engine I would do so.

Good idea on grinding down the dowels..  why would you need to replace..  Once the bellhousing is again flat against the block shouldnt the remaining 3/8 be enough?   I hope my math is correct...

Edited by 40desoto

Why grind down the dowel pins when all you need to do is move them where you need them? Use the proper sized drift and they will move easily.

Bob

Why grind down the dowel pins when all you need to do is move them where you need them? Use the proper sized drift and they will move easily.

Bob

Thank You Bob..  I havent tried yet..  If theyre that easy to move i will do so.. 

Just remember to drive them from the bell housing, and return them to the engine side before putting the bell back in place unless you have access to drive them from the bell side after you put it back :)

And they are important for reassembly. They align the tranny to the crankshaft.

Don't forget to put them back in BEFORE tightening all the bell housing bolts.