What's Your Truck Worth?

i'd be very interested in good pics of the pintle setup, as i've been considering adding one to my truck, too. that way i can at least think about pulling my 350b crawler with it, obviously using a trailer with 12v brakes (since my truck is 12v).

indeed, i couldn't justify a "new" truck. no way i'm shelling out $30K for one.

I bought my truck then took it to a cruise in spot the next Saturday and had an offer for twice what I paid for it. In hindsight taking the offer would have made financial sense but I feel its worth more than what the guy offered. my value on the truck is saving watching my spending for 15 years and putting family first so how would you pay for that?

The collector pricing guides are officially written by people who should be in the state loony bin... there is no way that even in perfect working order, my truck could be worth this much...http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1949/Dodge/Pickup/1-2-Ton/Values

Same wheelbase as a base model Ranger, with less power at the crank, let alone the rear wheels, and atrocious fuel economy to boot...

Same bunch of loons who appraise my 85 C10 short wide  at $4800+ in its current condition...

Think they cater to the "more money than brains" set?

Still not for sale, at any price, has been, and is staying, a one family truck.

Edited by Scruffy49
  • Like 1

Mine 49 is one of the priceless ones.  My Grandfather bought it new and I can remember riding in it shortly after he purchased it.  I bought it from my cousin who got it from my Grandfather's estate but I can't remember what I paid him for the truck.  I did the complete frame off every nut and bolt restoration of the truck myself with the exception of the final color paint.  I put close to $20K in the restoration but as I said it is priceless to me.  If I was to sell it I know that I would get no where near what I put in to the truck.  But even though it is priceless I will end up giving it away to one of my grandchildren.  I currently have another 49 being rebuilt as I am at an age that prevents me from doing a lot of the work.  I paid $4500 for a nice looking original truck and the work that is being done will run another $4K to $6K so $9K to $10K in the truck and it should be worth that much when it is complete.  I have also bought and restored or repaired at least half a dozen other 1948, 49, 50 Pilot House trucks.  I bought them for anywhere from a few hundred to a couple thousand dollars and generally sold them for about the same as what I had in them.  But when it comes down to it each buyer and each seller has to decide what a specific vehicle means to them both monetarily and emotionally.

• Like 1

The collector pricing guides are officially written by people who should be in the state loony bin... there is no way that even in perfect working order, my truck could be worth this much...http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1949/Dodge/Pickup/1-2-Ton/Values

Same wheelbase as a base model Ranger, with less power at the crank, let alone the rear wheels, and atrocious fuel economy to boot...

Same bunch of loons who appraise my 85 C10 short wide  at $4800+ in its current condition...

Think they cater to the "more money than brains" set?

Still not for sale, at any price, has been, and is staying, a one family truck.

that's ok, according to that source FEF is priceless...they don't even have his size listed!  :D

I've enjoyed reading the variety of responses, and in general the various stories, experiences, and perspectives of folks here in the forum.

In the 1980s, I was a younger man and I had about as many trucks as girlfriends.  I think the most I paid was around $2250 for a '35 Dodge pick-up.  They were all daily runners, even a '27 Chevy stakeside that I made runs to the dump with.  I've had five Chevys, four Dodges, and two Fords.  In my mind, the Dodges from every era (1925, 1935, 1948, 1952) stood head and shoulders above the Chevys and Fords.  The '25 had a strong flathead four with a silent start and a body that made the '27 Chevy look like it was made out of tin.  The '35 had the flathead six, factory hydraulics, a steel bed, and was a very reliable, practical vehicle.  The most I sold any of these trucks for was $5000 for the '27 Chevy (wound up on Cannery Row, Monterey, Calif.), and then $3000 for the '35 Dodge.  I've had dreams of getting these two particular trucks back.  These were all healthy, running, stock trucks.  I sold my last truck ('51 Chevy) in the early 1990s for a couple thousand when I became a dad and felt that it wouldn't be practical.

Some months ago, I gave myself permission to find another truck.  After searching on eBay, and our local Craigslist, I was hit with sticker shock.  That couple thousand I got for my '51 Chevy would now buy me a rusted hulk with a frozen engine (or no engine)...and I could pretty much add $1000 to whatever I found on eBay for transportation, not to mention not seeing the vehicle in person.  Having just put my son through college, I was hoping to give my son one of the family cars and get my truck without having to take out a loan.  The only vehicle that came close was the '48 Dodge 3/4 ton that I found in June.  Being a city slicker, I was looking for a shortbed, but it was probably the 7.5' bed and not being a Chevy that gave me the opportunity on it.  I picked it up for $1800 with a rebuilt engine, my  most difficult and expensive task being the brakes.  After brakes, tires, new bed wood, some paint, and plenty of etceteras,  I hope to have a healthy runner for around $5,000.  I'd like to think that I could get something more than that if I decided to sell it, but then it's not a "Chevy."

Btw, I owe a debt of gratitude for the generosity of the many on this forum for that have assisted me both directly and indirectly in my search for parts and direction.     

• 2 weeks later...

A year ago someone wanted my rusty 48 B1B. He offered $3000, about what I have in it. I was considering it - I could get another - but my wife said she liked that truck and nothing under $7000 was going to buy it.

For $7000 it would be gone in a heart beat, but that offer hasn't come.

But don't feel bad, I bought more anyway and my wife hasn't complained.

I've never had an offer over 3-digits, and several of those offers were insistent that I was rolling around in a hunk o'junk and that they were doing me a favor by taking them rust buckets off my hands.  One ethnic fella got particularly upset and that I was insulting him by not taking him up on his paltry offer.  My country boy politeness at turning them 'offers' down was met with more than one disappointed harrumph.  And then there are the parts trucks next to the house...several fellas have rolled up and volunteered to haul them off for no charge, one kid and his rather husky girlfriend wanted to take the Spring Special, paint it bright yellow and put it on a chevy 4x4 that he had  :rolleyes:

My 49 was going to go 4x4 but the running gear got stolen, 84 Ramcharger chassis and complete running driving power train. So instead I'm building a low rider out of it. Period correct low rider, no hydraulics or air bags, or similar goofy garbage. Just decent paint, clean wide whites for show use and clean 15 radials for normal driving (full wheel covers for the 78 Dodge truck rims). Hardwood interior, aged copper interior trim... pretty much what my Grandpa and I had planned to do to it when it was still sleeping in his barn.

One of my younger brother's daughters (triplet red head girls, I really feel for him) will end up with it. Can't trust my stepson with it, he's kind of defective... just how many Amp or Sparks energy drinks does it take to get a D.U.I. anyway..?

• 4 weeks later...

Bob -

Your post title caught my eye and I was a bit curious how my 52B3B stacked up.

Imagine my surprise/excitement to see my truck used as one of your examples.

After 35 years of wanting one (starting when I was 19), I was fortunate to pick up the black one last March from the guy who bought it at the auction.

I've sure had fun on this and other sites picking up things it needs.

Thanks for making my day.

BobB