1956 Plymouth Suburban custom!! New toy

Lakermatt

Ok. I hear ya guys... I am not a racer or high performance guy by all means. This is going to be a cruiser. I am just putting this engine in cause the engine has 50,000 miles, and the transmission has been rebuilt. He started it for me and it sounds great. I was going to put in a ford 9" rear end that my buddy has for 250 bucks. I think that should work for my driving style. Remember there is going to be surfboards on top of this thing!! CRUISIN SURF WAGON....

I don't believe that the MH 440 is much heavier than the pass car version and many have been parked in the 55-56 cars. My concern would be regarding the style of water pump and the possible need to use a pass car part.

Post a few pics when you get the engine out of the chassis.

As for the rear axle the 9" is even overkill, but if it fits and the offset pinion works out ok then why not... Or, with a disc brake swap up front and a disc equipped  8.8 from an Exploder you'd be set.  www.rustyhope.com for front disc kit.

second: there is another Mopar 413 of such high torque that this is a true statement..that is the big flathead 6 413 truck engine of yesteryear...

Tim,

I never heard of a 413 flathead six.  That has more diplacement than two 201's!   When was it made and what models used it?

Tim,

I never heard of a 413 flathead six.  That has more diplacement than two 201's!   When was it made and what models used it?

They were used in really big trucks. The late 40s ones were 331 and sometime after got increased. 

• Like 1

there is an artile on allpar.com that will discuss the ole big truck 6's...they were known per the article to twist driveshaft for the overzealous on accelertion..

for giggles the specs on the 413 truck/RV engine will be a bit of a wry twist to the average thinker...I expect better torque form the -3...I know the -3 in a 318
W series has a forged crank..saving one of these blocks for a build..

V8 engine specs for the 413

413-1 engine, 265 horsepower @ 4,000 rpm, w/445 ft pds of torque @ 2,400 rpm

413-3 engine, 238 horsepower @ 3,600 rpm, w/407 ft pds of torque @ 2,000 rpm.

Yeah, found them in Fremont,ca. San Jose area. The wagon has some bad floor boards... Front to back kinda thing. BUT.. The savoy is MINT. It's actually jaw dropping looking at the interior of this savoy. It is really clean. So I will be swapping a lot from one to another. Taking the dash from the savoy, door handles, and maybe the floor pans... I huge cutout. I also need the fenders, and grill and front bumper. Willing to let go of the rest for cheap...

My question is now... Has anyone ever put a 440 in a Plymouth of this year? I am hearing now it won't fit!!! What the heck man!! I need some pictures or motivation....

Join the Moparts forum and/or do a search there. There are a couple of 55-56 with B&RB swaps.

Another forum to look through is MoparStyle and maybe DiamondBack.

I am of the opinion that those who say it won't fit either haven't tried it or somehow expect it to just drop in to the stock mounts...sheeesh... You are building a hot-rod, expect to do some work.  Check with Butch, perhaps he has B&RB mounts.

I hear that!!! I'm all in... I need to find some motor mounts for the swap now....

Check to see what the other guys used, past that, the pickups used an easily modified bracket and rectangle biscuit. The 67-71 B body pieces may also be useful as a starting point.