1946 WD-15 Daily Driver Rebuild-Restoration

Yes I believe at least one of the shackles has a left hand thread. Also its been a long time but I think the springs are configured differently on 39-47s so I'd check the yahoo group for reference.

The only left hand thread was the passenger side tie rod end.And the front left shackle.

I have all the nuts loose on the shackles,springs and shocks all the nuts came loose almost just like they were new.The tie rod ends just needed a couple of small whacks with a hammer to fall out.

Can anyone please post a picture of what type puller you used to remove the pitman arm? I have access to every kind of puller known to man at work but I just need to know what kind.Looks like a 3 arm puller with good flat ends to get behind the arm.

The Pitman arm is all I like.

Edited by TennesseeVol51

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a pitman arm puller. You can probably rent one from your local parts store that rents/borrows tools.

154_0608_17_z+pitman_arm_puller+losening_bolt.jpg

When I was doing front end work on my truck I bought an OTC tool kit that came in most handy. I especially liked the tie rod/ball joint presses. So some shoping around. You can find a good deal on them.

aafcc96fc872ff6bfef7e341b8ee9042.jpg

Edited by Merle Coggins

• 3 weeks later...

016_zpsf338c1cf.jpgOk,can ya'll tell me how to remove the drag link arm?

What tool removes this slotted end plug?

Also look at the 3rd picture this is the bolt from the passenger side leaf
springs,it sure don't look very good does it? Does Dodge Central sell these
parts? Or someone else?

016_zpsf338c1cf.jpg

017_zpse5b0497a.jpg

018_zps958ca599.jpg

Edited by TennesseeVol51

I don't know which size but you need one of these

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3ddrag%2blink%2bsocket%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1%26Dn%3d0%26D%3ddrag%2blink%2bsocket%26Dk%3d1%26Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

FYI its a drag link socket in case the link doesnt work.

Edited by Young Ed

Here is a little of the history of my 1946' WD-15 3/4 ton.

My Paw-paw and me went to a estate auction in spring 1983 I am sure because the Alabama tag exprired in 1984.I thought we got it in spring of 1982 but I have a hard time remembering.

I drove it home from Florence,Alabama just the way you see it in the pics right now nothing has been changed on this truck since 1983 at all.I continued to drive it around the house till about 1993.I got married in 1991 and in 1993 we decided to build a house where my Father-in law lives.He gave us 20 acres to build a house,so when we moved I kinda gave him the truck for the land.I figured I would get it back someday or maybe my kids would.

So back this spring 2012 my father in law wanted his garage cleaned out and he wanted to know if I wanted the truck back because he was going to leave it to me anyway.I said yes and we pulled it down to the house with a tractor.The brakes were locked up tight but broke loose with the tractor pulling.

The last time this truck was driven and ran was about 1999-2001 I am not totally sure.Now that my kids are getting all big I want to make this a daily driver around here to go to the store and maybe work the cows and to take me and my motorcycle to our riding area in Westpoint,Tennessee we have 6,000 acres leased for riding dirtbikes.

This is a quick story on the truck maybe I was not to long winded.

Now it's really time to bother ya'll with questions??

Thats a wonderful story and a very cool truck! In my opinion the more we can all talk about these old Dodges and help each other out, be it a Pilothouse or not , is a great thing. Also i am very jealous of the 6,000 acres leased for dirtbikes as i am also a very big dirtbike, motocross, supercross fan. Up here in Massachusetts i have a hard time finding places to go riding it seems like everyone is so against it that trails and tracks just keep getting closed more and more. Its really ashame becuase ive always enjoyed riding so much but its getting harder to do  :(   

Ima tool junkie myself....I could rent/borrow tools etc...but I always talk myself into buying that "special" tool. I have a friend who is famous for saying (as you struggle with whatever part you're trying to remove), "Dude, they make a tool for that..." lol. 

Hey Ed....Dave's yahoo site (of which I am a member cuz of my WFAX-32) show's WD-15 as a 3/4 ton and all 1 tons as WD-20 or 21..... I have no, and have never found a list explaining the what or the whys on the Letter/Number usage. I've always just gone by process of elimination. ie WD-15's are always 3/4 ton trucks.

Great thread Bobby.....

48D

Ima tool junkie myself....I could rent/borrow tools etc...but I always talk myself into buying that "special" tool. I have a friend who is famous for saying (as you struggle with whatever part you're trying to remove), "Dude, they make a tool for that..." lol. 

Hey Ed....Dave's yahoo site (of which I am a member cuz of my WFAX-32) show's WD-15 as a 3/4 ton and all 1 tons as WD-20 or 21..... I have no, and have never found a list explaining the what or the whys on the Letter/Number usage. I've always just gone by process of elimination. ie WD-15's are always 3/4 ton trucks.

Great thread Bobby.....

48D

I agree with buying tools. Nothing quite like pulling some random tool out and saving the project.

As far as the model codes I just looked and didnt find a list either. I believe you are right that WD 15 is 3/4 and WD20 and 21 are 1tons. The 21s have a longer wheelbase than the 20s. I'm not sure why they didn't use a diff letter for 3/4 vs 1ton. After WD comes the WF 1.5 tons and they have even extra stuff. I think 3 codes for wheelbase plus a code for the COEs or 2spd rear ends.