Will this fit on '49 B1D

In my opinion and experience, NO. You only need the axle and brake drums. They are a dime and dozen, because there are so many available. I paid $150 for mine and the axles were in good shape.

post-23-13585371493082_thumb.jpg

post-23-13585371493685_thumb.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Justin what area are you in?? You need to check width and wheel bolt pattern. You will also end up cutting off all that extra bracketry and replacing it with a welded on leaf spring pad.

It may or may not be a good deal price wise. It is a disc brake rear and a limited slip is nice to have. Be sure if you buy it to get the calipers and mounting brackets for them even if they're locked up. Buying calipers without cores to trade in would make me pass on this one and do my own hunt in a salvage yard. Rotors may or may not need replacing and when inspecting,check the inside drum area for wear also. Check the condition of the parking brake shoes too. None of the brake parts are cheap on that rear. At least price the brake parts so you're aware of the cost to repair.

Justin: I replied in the other thread concerning this swap and I'd like to add some additional comments. In addition to removing the existing brackets on the axle and installing your spring perches, if you're planning on converting to a disk brake setup to the rear of your vehicle, your most likely going to have to do additional updates to your braking system. You'll need a dual reservoir master cylinder which will require fabricating some brackets, add a proportioning valve setup, plumbing in new brake lines, and most likely a vacuum assist. I would also not take the sellers word that it "looks good". Before buying a rear or front axle you want to look at it closely and pop the cover to see check out the internals. Looking good won't mean much if you've got to go through the differential. I'd pass. Mike

Justin;

Dave and Mike make some really good points here.

I bought my axle through a professional salvage operation for $350. It was a low mileage axle (47K) and the differential was in great shape. They furnished all the particulars including the vehicle VIN.

I did not get the calipers and this cost me dearly. Still I am happy as it is done and every thing is new or like new.

Jeff

Hi Justin,

You have at present a Dodge corporate full floating axle on your truck. If your going to do a rear swap I'd stick with a full floating axle not a semi-float one. You have a 1 ton truck. I'd look into a Dana 60 or if possible even a 70. They began putting the Dana full floater in Dodge trucks begining in 1960. Lots of ratio's are available. You would probably have to do modifications like MBFowler says but, it would still "Look" right for your 1 Ton truck. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

Joe Giraud

Dodge WC-12

4.30 ratios

900-16 NDT's

Final Ratio-3.94

Hi Justin,

You have at present a Dodge corporate full floating axle on your truck. If your going to do a rear swap I'd stick with a full floating axle not a semi-float one. You have a 1 ton truck. I'd look into a Dana 60 or if possible even a 70. They began putting the Dana full floater in Dodge trucks begining in 1960. Lots of ratio's are available. You would probably have to do modifications like MBFowler says but, it would still "Look" right for your 1 Ton truck. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

Joe Giraud

Dodge WC-12

4.30 ratios

900-16 NDT's

Final Ratio-3.94