1948 218 fuel pump

1948PLYP15

Take it out and try it by hand. Put the intake hose in a can of gas and work the lever by hand. If it works then, look for an air leak in the line from the tank. The rubber flex line from the frame to the pump could be cracked also. Make sure the pick up in the tank is not plugged by blowing back through it.

Lastly, and don't laugh, is there gas in the tank?

Since the pump is defective ask them to reimburse you for the postage or for a UPS pickup slip so they pay the shipping cost. You should not have to pay to return a defective item. Kanter makes major bucks on their items.

Rich

Desoto1939@aol.com

You had to order it from Kanter? Ouch, NAPA (at the farmer's co-op) and Federated have them around here. Less than $20 but usually have to wait a few days for them to come in. They were common use parts, industrial apps had the engines until at least sometime in the 1970s, the local airport still uses L6 powered plane tow rigs. Ford and Mopar based. Have them check the older truck engine catalogs. Last one I priced out (earlier this year) was all of $15.

You had to order it from Kanter? Ouch, NAPA (at the farmer's co-op) and Federated have them around here. Less than $20 but usually have to wait a few days for them to come in. They were common use parts, industrial apps had the engines until at least sometime in the 1970s, the local airport still uses L6 powered plane tow rigs. Ford and Mopar based. Have them check the older truck engine catalogs. Last one I priced out (earlier this year) was all of $15.

If you can get brand new AC588 fuel pumps at $15- 20 each then can you order me a couple. All of the local NAPA stores in my area cannot get them anymore. Airtex did make them but they have stopped production on these models and they are not remaking them.

The have gone throught the roof if new. They need to be new because of the neopream diaphram because of the enthinol.

Let me know if you can get some and I will pay you for them plus the shipping. Looking for the ones with the glass bowel.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I'll see what they are listing next time I'm up that way. The parts houses around here tend to carry a lot of stuff for older engines. Water pump for my 230 was $40 out the door, out west they were $60 and up IF they could get them.

Lots of L6 powered equipment down here is still in use. Planters, harvesters, pumps, tractors, generators (mil-surp with L4 or L6)... Can still find industrial hemi powered irrigation systems too... just not as many.

Terrell Machine in DeLeon, Texas that is listed on this forum's home site in the vendor area rebuilds fuel pumps and vacuum advances for a whole lot less. If you still have your old one send it to Terrell to be rebuilt. I bought all of the parts to rebuild my 218 P-15 engine from them as well as having three different vacuum advances rebuilt there, all very reasonable in price. They are usually listed in the big Hemmings monthly under services fuel pump and vacuum advance rebuild. They also advertize in the general Cadillac area in a long one column add for engine parts. They no longer run the add for Chrysler products engine parts in the general Chrysler section.