stake body

joenailer

I've got a 1948 B-1-C-116 with an old stake body on it. it doesn't look original but its all there. my question is how could I tell if it was originally a pick up body. it does have the short running boards so I sort of feel it started out as a stake truck. the vin number just gives me the wheelbase info

If you post some pictures of the stake bed I could tell you if its a factory or an aftermarket one. The factory bed has certain details that the aftermarket ones do not.

The tag on the firewall will NOT tell you what type of bed came on it. Its only good for describing the part that its attached to. A pick up, a chassis cab, and a stake bed truck will all have the same style cab and will therefor all have the same prefix on the firewall tag.

The only way for you to find out how the truck left the factory would be to order a build card from Chrysler. It will have a code on it that relates to what body was on it.

http://wpchryslermuseum.org/newsroom.do;jsessionid=32E23C046D569D862414DCDBA7B0E587?id=390&mid=135

post-1939-13585365410527_thumb.jpg

Most likely if it has the short running boards it was built as a Cab/chassis. If someone went to all the work of removing the "Express Box" and installing a flat bed, would they also replace the running boards, or would they keep the longer ones? Have a look at the frame behind the cab. Is there evidence that there were running board brackes attached at one time? I suspect not, which would mean that it was always a flatbed with shorter running boards.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

the bed thats on it now is a rebuilt bed and no where near a factory bed. it worked for what it was doing, that is being a farm truck. I'm just thinking about a more presentable bed for down the road. I see that I can get everything to rebuild it. any clue on what the wood bed was treated with? was it just paint or were they oiled?

This is not original bed?:D

Thats my truck, and correct it is not an original bed, not comfortable either, (the bull is standing).

this was bought as a cab chassie, thus aftermarket tray built by local coach builder - Stanthorpe 1952.