Front motor mount

busycoupe

I am replacing the leaky radiator in my D24 and with the radiator out I can see that the front motor mount is in poor shape. I can see strips of rubber hanging out of it. I'd like to replace it while the radiator is out. I can see and get to the two bolts on top of the motor mount, but I can't see how to get to the bottom two. Can I undo the top two bolts, jack up the engine an inch or so then take off the horseshoe frame to get at the bottom of the motor mount? What is the proper procedure?

Thanks!

Dave

At least on my much older Plymouth, there are four nuts on the front motor mount. Two on the top which you see. And two below which you should be able to see once the radiator is removed. I believe you should be able to swap out the mount by removing the nuts and lock washers and then jacking the front of the engine up a little. At least it would work that way on my car.

On my 49 the bottom two bolts are accessed through a pocket in the crossmember of the frame. You have to use a long extension to get to them. Like Tod said, you would have to jack the engine up a little to get the job done. When you get the new mount, attach the top bolts first and then align the holes on the lower ends with the holes in the frame.

Dave;

Do it just exactly the way you originally thought. I'm assuming you have the fan off by now, too. The u-bolts for the "horseshoe" bracket should have the nuts on the top side. Those bolts will be a bit of a PITA when reinstalling. At least they are for this old guy!