Please help - moulding

Don Jordan

I bought what I was told was rocker moulding for a P15. It's the same as the one on my sedan. I got clips which were supposed to fit.

I don't know how!

I'm sure there is an easy fix but they look too big and I can't figure how to get them on the stainless.

This was Saturday's job - I thought I'd just crank it out. I can't get past step one.

Could I have the wrong clips? I don't want to bend/break anything.

thanks

post-480-13585362720895_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585362721549_thumb.jpg

post-480-13585362722261_thumb.jpg

Don, two days ago I just put that same trim on my '48 Dodge D25 (same body as the P15) and my clips do not look like yours. I picked up a set of new clips on ebay and painted them black. I put one of the new clips (I received 10 but you only need 8) beside an old one and they look the same but neither looks like the ones in your pictures. The first picture shows the clips with the side that faces the car and the second picture shows the clips facing out and and that side would take the trim. On the bottom, the two kind of prongs do not go into the trim. They go behind it and the trim fits over the curved part on the bottom first and with a gentle tap will go over the curved part at the top. I also recommend using a very fine sheet metal screw (#6 X 1/2")and drilling through the clip and rocker panel just to give some extra hold. Do the drilling with the clip in place. Last thing you want to do is get three clips to fit and find the last one has worked loose. Also, as mentioned, there is a fifth clip that goes at the rear end of the trim but it is a totally different clip and is bolted onto the bottom of the rocker. I have no spare one to show you as I used both of my old ones. If the trim is straight and you are using half decent clips, you could probably get away without using the end clip.

Hope this helps. If you want any other help just email or PM. I do have a set of the old ones, from two different cars, but they are a bit the worse for wear and would definitely need a couple of small screws to keep them in place.

DSCN7439.jpg

DSCN7440.jpg

Edited by RobertKB
Spelling and add information

Thank you Michael. I went to e-bay and the guy wants $98 - That's $10 @ - Yikes

I believe you are right the ones on e-bay do look different than the ones I bought.

I don't know why Restoration Specialties doesn't carry them. I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

Thanks for the info.

Those clips you have appear to be 1949-52 clips.

I hope people are still following this thread.

I was looking in the parts book and I can't find a picture of the moulding clip. page 368 has the moulding - no clips. I was hunting on e-bay and I think the clips I have are DeSoto.

Restoration Specialties has clips for a 51 Plymouth they almost look like what I have only a tad smaller. Will 51 Plymouth fit a 48? I'd rather pay $3.00 @ than $10 @.

I'm sorry to be such a pest - I just want to get it right.

thank you. I will call Monday. Of all the problems I've had getting this car together this has been the most perplexing.

thanks for the info

Let us know what you find out with Restoration Specialties as I need rocker moulding clips for my '48 SD 2door sedan. Thanks.

This one little thing is getting out of hand. My wife called Restoration Specialties today. I'm passing this on second hand but this is what she was told:

The 46 - 47 take different clips than the 48. While I find that hard to believe I'm just the messenger. The guy told my wife they are going to re manufacture 46 47 clips and if I could just send him one he could match it. Problem is I don't have one to send him.

I bought some clips but they are too big and I think they might be DeSoto. There are some on the bay - the guy wants $98. I wrote him a question about them but haven't heard anything.

And finally - I can't find a picture of the clips in the parts book. I think that is interesting (or just an example of my incompetence).

This week end I'm putting a rebuilt engine in my 47. I'm going to try it with the transmission on. I will try to send pictures.

Hope people are having better luck than me.

This one little thing is getting out of hand. My wife called Restoration Specialties today. I'm passing this on second hand but this is what she was told:

The 46 - 47 take different clips than the 48. While I find that hard to believe I'm just the messenger. The guy told my wife they are going to re manufacture 46 47 clips and if I could just send him one he could match it. Problem is I don't have one to send him.

I bought some clips but they are too big and I think they might be DeSoto. There are some on the bay - the guy wants $98. I wrote him a question about them but haven't heard anything.

And finally - I can't find a picture of the clips in the parts book. I think that is interesting (or just an example of my incompetence).

This week end I'm putting a rebuilt engine in my 47. I'm going to try it with the transmission on. I will try to send pictures.

Hope people are having better luck than me.

Any luck on the Rocker Moulding Clips?

I found someone who has some. I've offered to buy them. Restoration Specialties said if I could send them one they could reproduce it. If I had one I'd probably go that route. They are around and buying them from private parties is expensive. I called my favorite junk yard and he sells the clips with the moulding. It's the last piece on the outside of my car so I figure what the hell and I splurged.

They are out there - be patient and the Plymouth gods will shine on you.