Poor NAPA Guy. LOL

yourpc48

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Parts Boy"... love it...

I shocked the "parts boy" at my local AutoZone one day. I had already done the research online and knew that they had, or could get, shocks for my truck. I went over to AutoZone and walked up the the counter and told the kid that I needed shocks for a 1950 Dodge 3/4 ton truck. He replied, "We're not gonna have anything for that." I convinced him to look them up and to his supprise, "WOW, we even have the fronts in stock! I can have the rears in a couple of days."

I've also had good luck with my local Napa, but I usually do my research first and just order by part number. My local O'Reilly is pretty good too, for a box store.

Merle

Our local Autozone parts boy told my son that he shouldn't put a 165 degree thermostat on his 1971 Bronco because "it will mess up your computer".

In south Louisiana, you can't go wrong with NAPA.

I went in and got a new oil filter for my P15 this afternoon and when looking under the hood I noticed I had left the radiator cap off the last time I had topped off the coolant. I went back in and asked the guy for a non pressurized radiator cap (mine had an old broken pressurized cap anyway). He gave me a look and I asked if he was OK. He said it had been a rough day. He then asked me how many pounds pressure I wanted. I said 0. He gave me the "Crap you said No Pressure" look and proceeded to find one for me. We both had a good laugh.:D

My NAPA people have been great when I go in buying parts for a 64 year old car. Several at this store I have made crazy since the mid 80s with my first D24. My 55 and 56 Chevys. My 72 Corvette Etc...

Did a similar thing to my local NAPA counterman.

It was more of an astonished look when I told him I needed parts for a 1979 Chevette.

Father in law gave us a kit car ('29 Mercedes) built on a Chevette driveline. I got to thinking about it, and I can't remember the last time I saw a Chevette on the road. Man those things were junk.

Wow! My dad had one of those little cars back in the 80s. Junk is right. We put a paint job on it and then sold it to one of his friends. The guy kept it up and going for sveral years before I didnt see it around town any more.
Yep, it turned into a "Flintstone mobile" within a few years, especially in the "rust belt".:D

Tom

I rarely try NAPA anymore. 3 weeks for a brake drum to get from Chicago to Seattle. Not even for an old vehicle, 69 D-100 isn't "old" (okay, it's 3 years older than me, so what, it has overhead valves). Oil filters (four trucks) "not available" (really, Fram quit making PH8A filters)...

External bypass water pump not available ($60 out the door at Parts Plus stores in two states so far). Tune up parts not available (yes they are, even autozone has them).

CarQuest has gotten as bad the last 5 years or so.

The NAPA here at the farm co-op isn't too bad, not great, but not bad. At least they realize that the gas caps for my trucks and John Deere 1020 (3 cylinder gasoline) are the same part number.

I was a motorcycle shop counterman for years. Don't give me that DUH look when a real machine isn't in the computer... If Harley Davidson can stock parts back to the 1960s, and BMW can stock them back to the 1920s... trust me kid, if you open the book, it won't bite you. :mad:

Our local Autozone parts boy told my son that he shouldn't put a 165 degree thermostat on his 1971 Bronco because "it will mess up your computer".

In south Louisiana, you can't go wrong with NAPA.

What???? :eek: The computer in your sons head???????? ;) In that one you are the computer!:D

I had a giggle with the young guy at NAPA today. Went in to pick up an order and also asked for 10 lug nuts 1/2 x 20. Real blank stare and then he starts looking for a specialty catalog. After a couple of minutes one of the older guys flips open the napa catalog for him and points.

I rarely try NAPA anymore. 3 weeks for a brake drum to get from Chicago to Seattle. Not even for an old vehicle, 69 D-100 isn't "old" (okay, it's 3 years older than me, so what, it has overhead valves). Oil filters (four trucks) "not available" (really, Fram quit making PH8A filters)...

External bypass water pump not available ($60 out the door at Parts Plus stores in two states so far). Tune up parts not available (yes they are, even autozone has them).

CarQuest has gotten as bad the last 5 years or so.

The NAPA here at the farm co-op isn't too bad, not great, but not bad. At least they realize that the gas caps for my trucks and John Deere 1020 (3 cylinder gasoline) are the same part number.

I was a motorcycle shop counterman for years. Don't give me that DUH look when a real machine isn't in the computer... If Harley Davidson can stock parts back to the 1960s, and BMW can stock them back to the 1920s... trust me kid, if you open the book, it won't bite you. :mad:

Sorry your people are too lazy to crack a book (by the sound of it). When I asked the young guy at my store to get the radiator cap for me he opened the book FIRST THING. They treat me right and I do a lot of business with them because of it.

My Father inlaw has been a racer for years and has worked on a lot of cars over the years. Were small town here so its a good ole boys club type deal. He has a buisiness account with good discounts. Some stuff you dont get much on no matter what but some things are way cheaper. Ya just never know. I married into my discounts LOL ;)

A few weeks ago I needed to replace the inner and outer seals on the left side of the rear axle. I'm new to the area, so I had no experience with any of the nearby parts stores. I walked into Advance Auto parts. The counter guy is in his early twenties, the name on his shirt is "Radar". He looks up the seals in the computer, says no problem. I picked up the seals the next morning. Less than 24 hours from my first visit. I was very impressed! :) I'll be going back to Advance Auto again.

Dave

NAPA and Federated are always my first choice. If I buy a used car and it has Twighlightzone or Advance parts on it, I switch them out. I am not into chinese garbage that fails way to early. Its kinda strange to connect Nappa with a discount parts store like advance. My opinion is, this person is connected to Advance some how, otherwise why would he go in there other then to buy waxes or car washes.

Advanced in the closest town to me won't go anything older than 1995. At least that is what they told the old guy next to me when I stopped in to grab a bottle of power steering fluid (Rangers really are pathetic little pieces of junk, aren't they)...

Local HD dealership has a 10 year old cut off date for service/repairs... Ditto the metric bike shops.

Local "antique car" mechanic (term used loosely, cost me a 2330cc VW racing engine) is only good for turning your vehicle into yard art.

Local NAPA garage has had my father in law's motorcycle for over a year. The "me can't fix" (mechanic) can't figure out how to fix the carb (bent slide needle, $5 part and 15 minutes of time)...

I live in farm country. I have a day job and farm on the weekends. You'd think the locals would know how to fix old stuff, and how to find parts for old stuff. There is a running steam tractor up the road, still earns it's keep. Parts have to be coming from somewhere...

And the NAPA machine shop quoted me $300 to weld a cracked exhaust manifold mounting ear. Don't think so...

in the little town i live with we have every parts store you could want or need with in a couple blocks from each other, Autozone, Napa, O'Reillys, Star Autoparts and House of Quality autoparts also a plethera of mechanic shops and with all these shops around it's a gamble cause the only ones that have any clue are Star and House of quality and that's only if you get the good people that day, Autozone had one girl working there that didn't even know what a carb was....

The NAPA near here is owner/operator, an older guy, who has catalogs, and knows how to read them, is by far the best place to go for old car stuff. What he doesn't have he can usually locate and get in within a day or two. The local O'Reilly's, staffed with acne ridden young computer geeks, who don't know a u-joint from a ball joint, is a total waste of time if you don't have a part number for something in their computer. Joel

The NAPA near here is owner/operator, an older guy, who has catalogs, and knows how to read them, is by far the best place to go for old car stuff. What he doesn't have he can usually locate and get in within a day or two. The local O'Reilly's, staffed with acne ridden young computer geeks, who don't know a u-joint from a ball joint, is a total waste of time if you don't have a part number for something in their computer. Joel
Sounds like he'd probably look in the computer for a muffler bearing or a quigly pin.:D

Tom

I went to my local Napa with a carburetor looking for a replacement. There were three countermen in the store and not one of them knew what it was.

I own a 1984 Chevette and it's a great little car. I used to have two Vegas-a 70 and a 77. I ran them both over 100K miles with no oil problems and sold them both to new owners. It's all in how you take care of them.:)

I went to my local Napa with a carburetor looking for a replacement. There were three countermen in the store and not one of them knew what it was.

I own a 1984 Chevette and it's a great little car. I used to have two Vegas-a 70 and a 77. I ran them both over 100K miles with no oil problems and sold them both to new owners. It's all in how you take care of them.:)

My older sister bought a '71 Vega brand new and in a one year it had a rust hole in the trunklid. They were built with Japanese steel that wasn't pickled properly. I borrowed it one time when it was a couple of months old and shut the driver door and the handle linkage fell off. lol... Road salt in Ohio winters is nasty. I hated wrenching on a car more than a couple of years old. The bolts would break or you'd have to heat 'em up to get 'em off.

Tom