I need a motor! MN,ND, or MB, SK help needed

NiftyFifty

Hey Gents,

I blew my motor up at the end of summer last year and it's time to find a new one to start rebuilding or if it's good enough, just drop in.

I need a 6 cyl flathead 230 cdi to fit my 49 Dodge Pilot House truck. Original motor is a 218, but the 230 should be a direct bolt in and give me an extra 2" of space.

MUST be in good running order, does not need to be rebuilt or anything, just runnig good so I can do a rebuild and not be worried it's a pooched block.

May consider whole parts truck or car for the right price

Looking to buy in Minnesota, North Dakota, or in Manitoba or Saskatchewan.

PM if you have something and are in the areas, as p/u is the only option

Not more power if you find a 25" 251 or 265 that will also bolt right in.

my 25" Cdn 218 has 87 hp for example...the 23" which actually I still think might be a 218?? in my 50 is a 95 hp according to the door tags, and most of the reading I have done shows that as the motors get newer the hp rating got higher.....my buddies 23" block in his 49 Dodge coupe is around 100-105 according to it's tag...so the smaller blocks did have more power.

my 25" Cdn 218 has 87 hp for example...the 23" which actually I still think might be a 218?? in my 50 is a 95 hp according to the door tags, and most of the reading I have done shows that as the motors get newer the hp rating got higher.....my buddies 23" block in his 49 Dodge coupe is around 100-105 according to it's tag...so the smaller blocks did have more power.

You aren't comparing apples to apples. The same 25" block fron a 1950 would be more HP. The biggest 23" block is the 230 but the 25 goes to 251 and 265. So right off the bat 21 or 35 more cubic inches.

If you just want a builder there are a few junkyards in MN with plenty of blocks to pick from. A decent runner is a little more of a challenge. All I personally have laying about is a 218.

If you just want a builder there are a few junkyards in MN with plenty of blocks to pick from. A decent runner is a little more of a challenge. All I personally have laying about is a 218.

Problem with junk yard blocks is you never know if it's any good until you get it home and split it all apart...I have a block now sitting in a truck that looks fine to the eye..but it was also full of water when I got it...so I wouldn't want to bet that if I went to all the trouble of pulling it and spltting it down that it wouldn't be wrecked anyway. Back in the day a lot of people used to just use water in the summer, but many a northerner forgot to replace that water with coolant and there are many blocks from that era that are destryed from feezing

If I can't find a runner to rebuild, then it's not worth keeping the stock format IMO....I mean it's already far from stock with the updated brake system and the rear diff, electronic fuel pump and new tank....so it's not a big step to go away from the flat 6...but for ease of install I was thinking of keeping it original in that respect, but something with a few more ponies to use it on the hwy

Yep...put a request on a number of local classified sites..our local paper has a very poor classifieds and is expensive...so not worth putting in there.

Most of those old motors are probably long gone, along with a lot of the trucks from that era....I rarely see any PH trucks here in MB..but I have seen a few, but worse shape the then parts one I have

The engines are out there but it's not the kind of thing that will be easy. I looked for quite a while before I found an older rebuilt on Kijiji for $450.

Try a wanted ad on Kijiji in the farm implements section. Still lots of these engines on the back 40 and not really front and center in the farmers mind.

There is a wreckers in Elfros, Sask,(Elfros Auto Wreckers) and one in Webb, Sask (Jensens) with lots of older vehicles.

For me, the hunt for parts is half the fun of an old car/truck

I have the bare block for rebuilding (25 inch 251) and my nephew has a block as well, 25 inch but unknown CID. Mine is a freebie and his might be $100...both in Calgary.

i have a 48 panel van im restomoding want to put 340 in it

pulled the engine and trany out, was running

has anyone installed a newer engine in one of these?

is the a way to mount engine easy

im open for offewrs on flathead

I guess #1 is where do you live?

Any idea what size the motor is? Should be some info listed on the door frame tag, that can be used to find the engine CID.....other then that can't help you with the van swap...all I know is that to swap anything in these PH's if you want a different motor and trans that means a relocation the the brake and possibly the clutch pedal if you keep it standard, new drive shaft and some new cross members...

There are no easy methods to putting a V8 in. Methods of doing so include frame swaps from a Dakota, Volare clips, fabrication onto existing frames, SBCs, Corvette drivetrains and that's just from members of this forum that I'm aware of.

It'd be a lot easier if the starter was on the other side of the engine and the distributor was in the front but they aren't on the 340. Some firewall modification is usually needed and then you need to deal with brakes, rear gear ratio, radiator clearance,etc.

Welcome to the forum. Jump in with both feet. Great people, great forum.

The engines are out there but it's not the kind of thing that will be easy. I looked for quite a while before I found an older rebuilt on Kijiji for $450.

Try a wanted ad on Kijiji in the farm implements section. Still lots of these engines on the back 40 and not really front and center in the farmers mind.

There is a wreckers in Elfros, Sask,(Elfros Auto Wreckers) and one in Webb, Sask (Jensens) with lots of older vehicles.

For me, the hunt for parts is half the fun of an old car/truck

I have the bare block for rebuilding (25 inch 251) and my nephew has a block as well, 25 inch but unknown CID. Mine is a freebie and his might be $100...both in Calgary.

So how many guys on here have used the Ag motors? I'm likely to find a motor in an old Massey combine here then a PH truck or 50's dodge car that's any good. What all conversions did you have to do to make it work in your trucks? Any info would be great....I've put out some more ads in the ag sections now.

Probably about all you have to do is install a truck type intake and exhaust manifold and maybe a truck front motor mount. Also a distributor with a vacuum advance.

Don't have pne of those now on my 218 and it works fine...I'm guessing my original stuff would work if I knab a 251 or 265.....i have 230 stuff if I go that route as well.

I was more worried about the trans bolting up...I thought for some reason someone had an issue once.

turning out to be a difficult motor to find...I did get one call on a 265 that's not far away, but he wants $450 and can't tell me anything other then it came out of a combine...no engine numbers, no hours..no ideas if it burnt oil like a feind...nothing...so $450 for that and thinks it's probably sitting outside...little too steep for me for that

Then some guys e-mails me offering a perkins tractor engine..LOL...just can't win!

OUCH..$600 for a "I dunno if it runs" and it's a 218 to boot....the other one is usesless to me and I'm sure my crank is a doner and at least 1 or 2 rods with then sticking out the side of the pan....so not worth the 12 hour drive for either.

Thanks for the help boys!...looks like I'm getting ever so closer to either a trip to Minneapolis or a V8/auto

WOOO HOOO! I think I found the deal of the century! Just had a call from a guy about one of my industrial engine ads and he's got 1 great running(but needs rings) 251 + a parts motor that was running but got a bit of water in it all for $50...AND he had a chevy 350 with 4 bolt mains for $150...so if I chnage my mind, or for my next project I'm all set-up

Thanks guys...will keep you posted in spring on how she goes!