Bamfordsgarage and "Classic Car"

1940plymouth

Cmon Guys, send an email on Bamfordgarages behalf, here is what I wrote to Editor Richard Lentinello of Hemmings Classic car.

Hi Richard, I am a longtime regular Member of www.P15-D24.com.

Recently 1 of our members drove his 1947 Dodge D25 from Edmonton Alberta Canada to Hershey via the Black Hills SD, Chicago, Detroit(with a visit to the abandoned Packard buildings), and on to Hershey, Washington DC and Virginia.

His handle is Bamfordsgarage, and his name is Chris, and his Wingman is Jerry, these 2 great Gents drove this Original Unmolested "Drivable Dream", well over 3000 miles on an 18 day adventure.

Could you please consider doing a feature on this Car, the Team, and the adventure in your Great magazine, for which I am a faithful reader. All the best to you Richard, and Hope to read about this extraordinary story in an upcoming issue of the 2nd to none Hemmings Classic Car..................Fred Buhay AKA Rockwood

• 5 years later...

Gents,

I know I'm probably going to get bashed for this, but here goes... Richard is primarily a GM guy. I subscribe to Classic Car, for years. Great Magazine.

But carefully read Richard's Articles. Where are the Mopar's? They even feature a Rambler in their Current Issue of Classic Cars (the last one to come to my doorstep).

Other than that Rambler, I haven't read anything other than GM, Caddy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevy, or Lincoln's/ Ford talk out of Richard for years. I will email him as well for Chris and Jerry's behalf, but I'm almost certain it will yield nada. Their last two Mopar features were September 2011 (Rare 60's  Imperial Crowns you must own), and September 2015 (Mrs. Chrysler's Chrysler)

Face it, just like the car shows here in the South, it's Chevy and Ford Day. I have had 1948 Chrysler Royals all the way back to 1973, and you just don't find people too interested in them.

In fact their values keep going lower. Last April 2015 my '48 was the oldest Chrysler/Desoto/Plymouth at the Lowe's Show (Charlotte Motor Speedway) and maybe 4 or 5 people stopped by to really look at it (out of  about maybe 30 - 60 thousand present) at the show. That was the show that featured Dodge as the "Pavilion" showcase. Only 2 other Dodge's were older than mine. In fact the few that stopped to look at my car were over 60 years of age. Oh well there it is. Start the bashing, "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free". Look - Like what you want - don't let others determine your taste, however, Mopars are akin to collecting Large Cents, instead of Silver Dollars, very few people seek them out at shows as well. Unless maybe your in Michigan, Pennsylvania, or a W.P.C. Meet. Its OK I'm not sensitive .... bash away. L.O.L. I too wish Classic Car would feature more of our stuff.

Tom

• Like 1

the collectability of Mopar has suffered at the very hand of the maker of the car....Mopar set out and did squash and prosecute every re-popper who did not pony up a huge amount for each items planned for re-production.  These license fees were usually way above any hope-for return from the manufacturer.  About the only successful re-poppers of Mopar are muscle and certain years only of the A-body car, even then many items are still needed in mass quantities for these old cars. ....I say that to say this...Ford and Chevy are extremely popular due to the fact that reproduction parts are plentiful and extremely affordable.  They do have the advantage in the marketplace..

Seems only die hard Mopar fans mess with this stuff...many newbies learn quick after the fact that availability of parts is bleak at best and either sell the project once disassembled or send it off to China in from of ground up metal.

• Like 4

You may be on to something there PA. I never looked at it that way. I always figured there were more repops available for Ford and GM because more people were buying Ford and GM stuff. In my area Chevy and Ford have always been the big sellers in both contemporary and classic autos. Those of us into Mopars were very much the minority. Less potential customers means less potential to sell product and thus less vendors. Add to that what you say about the cost of licensing and trying to run a Mopar repop business would be a proposition doomed from the start.

in the 80's I actually subscribed to a Mopar magazine and this was a constant topic of discussion and who was the latest to be served with papers....I said served but I do not recall every step of the process except to say many re-popper were call onto the carpet and shut down...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1