Hello Plymouth lovers

mrbobs48

Hi Im new here, just bought a 1948 plymouth special deluxe. Its blue with the original interior. Body is straight and all the chrome is in great shape. My first car in high school was a 1948 plymouth special deluxe, but it was black. Now I have another one, I feel 16 again. lol Question. The tires are bad, I don't want to spend a $150 per tire for the big white walls. So should I go black tire or skinny white wall ? Both look good to me, any input will help. Thanks from Oklahoma city.

Welcome to the forum. My first car was also a black Special Deluxe. I would suggest that if you haven't already done so, take a little time to do a search on this forum. I think you'll find a lot of previous discussions on tire selection. If you don't find what you are looking for, by all means ask away.:D

Go to 'member's list' and look at their pictures. There will be a number of pictures with different wheel/tire combinations. To me they all look good. NICE CAR! WELCOME! Where do you live? There may be a forum member close.:)

ps. look at: moparmonkey, mikk506, Deano, dmkberger for a few. I occassionally just browse the members profiles and enjoy their cars. I would encourage you to fill out your profile as well.

Edited by pflaming

Welcome aboard. My family's first new car was a 48 SD and I have been trying to get back there ever since. Good memories. Do what you know. Are those Port-A-Walls you are calling fake WW? I impressed the young guns at the local mechanics with mine. They had never even heard of them. Keep coming? back, Frank

Hi Mr Bob. From another Bob.

Welcome.

I would suppose since your car is a 48 that it has 15 inch tires.

If you buy your tires locally, I don't know if you will find any thing

besides radials. Maybe a farm supply would sell the old bias ply

type.

Even the narrow white stripes are getting hard to find.....some

places have them, but they don't carry any at our Walmart or

Sam's Club.

Size wise, my preference would be a P215-75R-15.

Radials do make the car handle lots better on the highway - are

just harder to turn when going very slow or stopped.

they will fit on the old skinny rims.

Everyone likes something different - so do what you like best.

hello there

Id stay with the bias. Radials just dont look right, and bias dont handle nearly as bad as you think.

Blackwalls would look good. Whitwalls would look classy.

Look up cokers G78-15

http://store.cokertire.com/tire-styles/bias-ply-tires/wide-whitewall/g78-15-coker-classic-2-3-4-whitewall-tire.html

Not a bad tire. With my HAMB discount, they were $505 shipped to my door. Look great and handle well.

As I recall, the Ford rims will work fine on the Plymouth.

It seems as if the holes in the Ford pieces are just a tad bigger

diameter than the Mopar......therefore the lug bolt goes into them

just a little farther. Doesn't quite fill the hole like on the Plym wheels.

I've used Ford rims on a Mopar on past occasions with no problems.