speedometer

I have been driving my b-2-c around abit now that I have the engine going. Lately the speedometer has been acting up. The needle jumps all over the place once I get past 25 mph, and it makes intermitent whinning noises. The odometer seems to be working fine. What is going on, anyone have any ideas?

Need some lubrication on the worm and in the spot on the back of the speedo. Light oil like 3 in 1 for the back of the speedo, graphite or litium for the worm. Pull the worm out from the speedo end, clean it up and lube it. Watch getting old grease on your interior as you pull the worm.

Yup, mine did the same thing when I first took it out of the shop. Lube up the cable and the speedo. I'll be easier if you pull the speedo out of the dash. On the back, where the cable connects, you'll see a stem that screws into the housing perpendicular to the input. Unscrew this stem and you'll see a wick. Drip a little light oil in where the stem goes and soak some oil into the wick. Put it all back together and it should run smooth now.

Merle

I picked up some line-trimmer cable shaft lube from the Echo-Stihl dealer. I removed the cable assembly from the 1 ton and soaked it in the parts cleaner reservoir for a day to loosen all the gunk up, then removed the cable from the housing. The housing was flushed out, the cable was scrubbed, & both dried with compressed air. Then the fun starts cuz it takes three good hands to do the actual lubrication. Lightly clamp one end of the housing in a vise so that you are looking down into the housing. Squeeze some lubricant into the housing, then feed about 3"-6" of the cable into the housing, but pull it back out and rub the lubricant onto the cable. Re-insert the cable back into the housing and move onto the next 3"-6". Repeat this until the entire cable has been coated, and it's ready to install.

I think I just used some oil in my cable. But I like the idea of the weed whipper lube. I never thought of that. As I remember, I disconnected both ends and chucked the speedo end into my drill. I would spray some penetrating oil, as a solvent, into the cable housing as I'd spin and work the inner cable in and out. I kept this up until I had a good flow of gunk out the other end. I then followed the same procedure with Brakleen until all of the gunk was flushed out. Then the same procedure again with the oil. Between that and lubing the speedo itself it now runs nice and smooth.

Merle

Hi: Thanks to both of you. The cable seems to spin well, but it would be nice to clean it up. I did lubed the speedometer and it spins nice now. It was very sticky when I took it out.

On another note, when I pulled the hand brake cable it was completely stuck and would not move. I took a pice of PVC pipe a littel longer than the cable, put a cap on it, filled it with kerosene and soaked the cable, it freed right up and moves great. Should there be any lube in the hand brake cable?

Rob