Cab Roofs

I want to scrap out the cab from my parts truck but I'd like to save the roof in case someone in the future needs it for a roof replacement or chop project. The bottom half of this cab is rotted beyond repair, plus I already cut out a chunk of usable lower A pillar for Bill's truck down in Racine. I could find room to store the roof alone, but the whole cab is more difficult.

So, my question to those who have done such projects... Where should I cut? I was thinking of cutting just below the body line under the rear windows, where it begins to flare out. Up front I thought I'd cut it off at the bottom of the windshield. Other suggestions are welcomed.

PB211531.jpg

PB211532.jpg

PB211533.jpg

PB211534.jpg

I also hope to sort through the rest of my spare parts and will most likely post them in the for sale area in the near future, along with the cab roof. I need to reclaim my yard.

Merle

Geeze, based on My studebaker cab that's pretty Cherry. Car Corners look good, back of the cab looks decent. Don't see dailight through the floor. Door pillars look solid other that what's already been cut. Maybe just trim off the rest of the rusted stuff, tack in some supports, bolt it to a pallet and put it on Ebay.

You can't see daylight through the floor because there isn't much of one, and what's left is like swiss cheese. The sills are rotted away and the bottom edge of the cab had also been eaten by the iron moths. The pictures don't show how bad it is. It's just not worth saving, but I could save the roof. Those seem to have more requests because of damage from falling objects or for roof chop projects.

Merle

Pictures often make things look a lot better than they are, but the back of the cab looks like it's in fine shape. I don't see any rust or dents. A guy could just cut it behind the seat, and at the windshield posts and mate to another with those parts shot and make a good one pretty easy.

I'd say take it from the front, right to the firewall. (To the front drip edge.) That way have the vent and wiper body to drop onto one that may have bad windshield bottom support. Tack weld some bracing inside first to prevent tweaking the saved part and take out the corner glass (Hard to find and wouldn't want to get broken). Easier to cut off what they don't need then to add back on. My .02 Cents!:D

My chop was done with the bottom cut about 1/2 inch above the body lineon the rear and the starightest portion of the A pillars was shortened with a split from door to door in the center, again the straightest part for adding material for the increased lenght. Back of cab below body line could also be done and would lower the body line compared to the bed. A real energetic person could drill out all the spot welds and remove the roof/cowl section and the back cab sections seperately and save both panels. Saving for just a top chop I'd cut at the bottom of the A pillar and just below the body line.

I might own a nice 3 window by tomorrow. I wonder how practical it would be to cut out the corner windows and graft them in? Would seem a simple job.

I believe someone here has done that, but I don't remember who. Try searching for the thread. If you want them I'll cut them out for you. You'll just have to tell me where to cut.

The whole purpose for this thread was to fuel my idea of saving sections of the cab that could be used for someone's future projects. I see requests for roofs from time to time, so I thought if I could save it I would. I don't want to save or store the whole cab. I don't have a lot of storage space and I don't want to have to mow around it again next summer.

Merle

Sure did and it went really well.

I had a local welder in North Vancouver rough them in for me and I did the grinding and filling. Overall I'm really happy with the results.

If only the weather was a bit better I'd finish my Rustoleum paint job and have my truck back in one piece.

...and Tom do you still have that rim?

Steve...

post-2462-13585352491512_thumb.jpg

post-2462-13585352491876_thumb.jpg

post-2462-13585352492305_thumb.jpg

post-2462-13585352492721_thumb.jpg