Photos of original wood bed

I havn't seen another Pilot Era truck around here for twenty years and one showed up at the local Auto Repair Center. I believe this to be an original bed from the looks of the truck. It's a 1950 1/2 ton. Three speed on the column, fresh air option, both outside mirrors, and back on the road.

The wood has some black paint left on it. The boards look to be ship-lapped with the metal bed strips on top of the boards. Just thought some folks may like to see this after reading earlier threads.

Jeff

post-2236-13585350776602_thumb.jpg

post-2236-13585350777266_thumb.jpg

post-2236-13585350777957_thumb.jpg

post-2236-13585350778601_thumb.jpg

On cross section that wood looks an awful lot like the 1 x 8 V-Rustic I have used on the interior and exterior of houses. Readily available around here in pine or cedar.

MVC-002F-8.jpg

The bed has been rewooded. The large bolts that hold the bed down are missing the large washers and there appears to be four on each side. The bed should be two or three pairs of bolts not four. They did do a good job when it was done.

I havn't met the owners yet but hope to tomorrow at a local car show. At the shop was a tailgate in very poor shape so someone may have done some work years ago and didn't get around to fixing up the tailgate. I'll look at the truck bed closer again to see if the boards might be original and installed again after some earlier work.

They do need an exaust manifold if anyone has one for sale or contribution. Has the original 218 motor. More photos soon of this truck.

I have original wood in my box and when I remove the tailgate I'll take some pictures of the wood.

I plan to remove my tailgate so that I may paint the word "Dodge" to match the color of my rims.

I plan on using a hard rubber roller to just apply paint to the top of the letters.

Dennis

I have two B3B's like Reg, both low beds. One is a frame off restoration but my driver is pretty much all original. Here are photos of the bed wood plank in profile as well as the worn but still distinguishable black bed paint. I've also repainted my tailgate and Dodge emboss. Taped it off and spray painted with Chrysler Red model paint from a craft shop. Its a fairly good match to the red on our hubcaps and hood badge emblems.

Tailgatebadgehubcaps013.jpg

Tailgatebadgehubcaps012.jpg

Tailgatebadgehubcaps007.jpg

Tailgatebadgehubcaps009.jpg

Tailgatebadgehubcaps010.jpg

Tailgatebadgehubcaps001.jpg