My b-4b-108 is titled as a 54, but vin says '53

weird, how do you think this happened? truck maybe sold late in the year and re-title as a new one?

whats the build number mean? I know that can't be how many made, so whats it mean?

Year 1953

Make Dodge

Model B-4-B

Engine 217.76 Flathead Six

Wheelbase 108,116

Rating 1/2 Ton

Engineering Code T306

Plant Detroit, Michigan

Build Number 74076107

My B2C is titled as a '51 even though it is clearly a '50. Like Bob says, it happened a lot back then. The serial number on my truck is fairly late in the series for that year, so I suspect it arrived at the dealer early in 1951 and that's when it was sold and it got titled for the year it was sold.

Merle

While the vin number can pin down the model, where that number falls in the model series is only an educated guess of when it was assembled, then sold. I got a much better sense of when mine was built by the motor date stamp, which is to the hour, day, month and year. Assuming the engine did not sit very long in inventory and that you have the original engine in your truck, you can narrow down the assembly date as well as when it hit the dealer network. Not that this means anything, but it brought me a little closer to my truck's history.

Jim in Dallas

Another reason that I feel that my truck was built late in 1950, besides the serial number being high in the range for that year, is that the headlights both had "DEC 1950" stamped on the back side. I believe these are the original headlights since they are identical. It's unlikely that if one, or both, had to be changed out during it's life that they would still be identical bulbs.

I'll have to look at my engine numbers. How will they tell the exact time and date that it was manufactured?

Merle

What does the "build number" I referenced above mean?

It must have something to do with the serial number. Does it look close to your serial number? The last 4 digits of my Build Number match my serial #. Also, if you look more in the t137.com site you'll find serial number guide books. According to that the serial number range for my B2C was 83340001 - 83361096. So, according to my calculator that makes 21095 B2C's built in the Detroit plant, of which mine was #20295. that means that only 800 B2C trucks were built after mine.

Serial Number 83360295

Year 1950

Make Dodge

Model B-2-C

Engine 217.76 Flathead Six

Wheelbase 116

Rating 3/4 Ton

Engineering Code T174

Plant Detroit, Michigan

Build Number 20295

The numbers for B4B's are as follows;

82302001 - 82335036 if it was built in Detroit (33035 built)

or 85322001 - 85327718 if it was built in California. (5717 built)

I'm not sure how your Build Number fits in. :confused:

Merle

Not unusual at all, many states allowed new (unsold unregistered) vehicles to be titled for the year they were sold rather than manufactured. My 46 was the same, it was made in Oct sold in DEC, delivered Jan 2nd and titled for the delivery date, as it was a new unit. This was in Pa.

The engine cast date stamp is on starboard side of engine. Clock shows probably 3 pm shift. September 9, 1952. My truck is a 1952 B3B by vin number, so it was assembled sometime in the fall of 1952 and could have sold in late 1952 or early 1953.

Jim in Dallas

post-105-1358534980485_thumb.jpg

post-105-13585349805237_thumb.jpg

post-105-13585349805547_thumb.jpg

They did strange things with titles in the past. While a little newer I just had a headache registering a truck titled in Pa in the early 60's the title did not have any year of manufacture.

It only had dodge truck and a serial #.

The truck is a 1959 fortunately by the late 50's they started using a year letter in the serial/vin # and I as able to finally get the njdmv to title the truck as a 1959

Another reason that I feel that my truck was built late in 1950, besides the serial number being high in the range for that year, is that the headlights both had "DEC 1950" stamped on the back side. I believe these are the original headlights since they are identical. It's unlikely that if one, or both, had to be changed out during it's life that they would still be identical bulbs.

I'll have to look at my engine numbers. How will they tell the exact time and date that it was manufactured?

Merle

I have a 1950 NY hardtop titled same way-it was always titled as a 1951. I know it's a really late production car because it has a narrow fan belt- not the 3/4" belt as used in 1950 and back. I think the light duty Dodge trucks 1/2 through 1 ton are the same- wide belt up to 1950 and narrow 1/2" belt starting in 1951. Merle-Does your 1950 Dodge truck have a narrow or wide belt ?

Merle

thats amazing and very cool in its own rights! is it a low mileage truck?