Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Why do people install different drive shafts?

JIPJOBXX

NO one stated here about the vibration problem that inherite with the trunnion type has. If this was a bad idea why did they use it for so long?? I have rebuilt my turion universals and they are tight. So what is the real reason for changing out this type of universal. Parts are still available. Is it the fact that the trunnion type cannot be balance as easy as this change over??? And why do some guys here never have problems with there old style universals? Just odd question? Oh yes how many of you guys that answered this message have changed over to the other type of universals. Of course money being a big factor I'm trying to figure out if this is really the problem or could it be something else?

I switched mine as others have had good luck with it. It is more reliable in my opinion and it took care of my vibration problems.

Plus if I'm on the road and something happens to the driveshaft I can find parts readily available anywhere. Hard to do with the old type.

Jon, there's nothing wrong with the orginal ball and trunion u joints when they are maintained. You have to pull the shaft and take off the ends to grease them.

I think your vibration problem is the shaft itself, either out of balance or slightly bent. Try Drivelines Northwest, I think they are in Fife. They can check out you old shaft and tell you whats up with it. If it's good, then your problem is elsewhere.