1942 Dodge blackout

Brendan D25

As long as they had chrome pieces in inventory they used them tillthey were gone.

Right but if its got brightwork it wouldn't be a blackout model. I've also heard once they didn't have enough chrome/stainless for a complete car the remaining brightwork was painted over to match. I parted out a 45 dodge 1/2 ton blackout model. It had stamped steel dodge badges for the hood and odd steel interior and exterior handles.

• 8 years later...

Hi guys!  I would love to see more photos of your 1942 Plymouth P14C's! I have one also and have created a facebook group just for these rare beauties. Come join here https://www.facebook.com/groups/496566131163408/ Hope to see you and anyone else with one

@diskman13 @440roadrunner see you there hopefully

Edited by Rustydodge46

• 1 year later...

Hello gentlemen, I have 1942 dodge 2 door sedan deluxe. And can't seem to find and info from the serial number 30603185 firewall number 4435TDS. 

Just wondering if this was made before Jan. 42?  Any and all information is welcome.  The title the person gave me states its a 40, but after some reach I found it to be a 42.  I try and post a picture.

Thanks

42.jpg

Theonly 1942 Dodge I have seen or know of here in Oz was a 4dr Sedan, RHD which had from memory the USA grille & sheet metal, it was in the Flynns Wrecking Yard, Cooma in  Southern NSW from at least the early 70's(I 1st saw it around 1973/74) till the early 2000's when I heard someone had finally bought it to restore........interesting to see the differences between the USA & Canadian cars........I'd love to see why these differences occured as you'd think it would have been easier/cheaper/simpler to use the same basic jewellery etc but just modify the fenders, etc to suit.........andyd

• 8 months later...
On 8/8/2021 at 2:13 PM, Joker said:

Hello gentlemen, I have 1942 dodge 2 door sedan deluxe. And can't seem to find and info from the serial number 30603185 firewall number 4435TDS. 

Just wondering if this was made before Jan. 42?  Any and all information is welcome.  The title the person gave me states its a 40, but after some reach I found it to be a 42.  I try and post a picture.

Thanks

42.jpg

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The 42 Dodge Serial Numbers ranged from 30577001 to 30644377.    Official Blackout started around serial number 30621690 for some parts and 30636724 for grille parts.  Prior to that there were some things done to save chrome.   Quality of the chrome was cut back.  Some of the Custom cars got Deluxe fenders (No custom skirt moulding nor holes for it)  If the car was still on the dealership lot after Jan 1, 1942 it is my understanding the chrome and stainless trim had to be painted so no dealer had an unfair advantage  of selling their cars.  Bumpers were chrome even for the blackout models.  I believe your 4435TDS means your car was the 4435 Two Door Sedan Produced.  There were 9767 2 Door Sedans Produced.  There was also a 2 Door Brougham Sedan which came with Custom Trim.  The Brougham back side windows were 2 piece.  They made 4685 of those.  There was also a 2 door Club Coupe which had a slanted piller behind the doors.  They made 4659 of those in 42.

01 1942 Dodge BlackOut.jpg

02 1942 Dodge Blackout Grille.JPG

03 1942 Dodge Custom Brougham.JPG

Edited by Ron42Dodge

On 8/9/2021 at 1:34 AM, Andydodge said:

Theonly 1942 Dodge I have seen or know of here in Oz was a 4dr Sedan, RHD which had from memory the USA grille & sheet metal, it was in the Flynns Wrecking Yard, Cooma in  Southern NSW from at least the early 70's(I 1st saw it around 1973/74) till the early 2000's when I heard someone had finally bought it to restore........interesting to see the differences between the USA & Canadian cars........I'd love to see why these differences occured as you'd think it would have been easier/cheaper/simpler to use the same basic jewellery etc but just modify the fenders, etc to suit.........andyd

I believe Canada had limitations on engines so even though it was labeled Dodge it could not get the American Dodge engine.  Easier to take a Plymouth body and tweak it to be similar to a Dodge appearance.  Something like that.  They made 2102 D23 Custom Models and 3861 D23 Deluxe models.