its back!!! p15 convert from ebay

Young Ed

I remember seeing this one a year or 2 ago. I think at the time the ad said it had girls drawn on the doors that someone cut out and kept. Looks like the buyer didn't make it to far with it. If I only had room for it......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plymouth-Coupe-1948-Plymouth-Project-Car-2-cars-Convertible-Good-Combo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6387QQihZ012QQitemZ220272194990QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

366f_1.JPG

It's not often you think of using a convertible as a parts car but that would be the sensible route. However, how many people with old Mopars are sensible? As they say, any car can be restored, including that convertible. Just think of the guy who is doing the '61 Chev convertible that sat in a ditch for over 30 years!

Hmmm Let's see resale wise when finished the vert will smash the coupe, coolness wise the vert wins again, ease of restoration coupe wins, overall score vert wins! coupe is the parts monster!!:D I think I will keep my eye on it.

Ed, just buy them and keep them for a rainy day, retirement, when you're in the dog house, etc. You only live once and at some point you would be able to work on them. Do it now before you get married because after it might be a little tougher. However, I have five old cars and that's the limit. My wife says she will alter my anatomy if I drag something else home. Can't complain as my wife never complains about me having the old cars and she likes them as well. Bought my 1953 Plymouth in 1975 and got married that year also. Still have my wife and my Plymouth!

I looked and its 213 miles away. Not really all that far. But I already have too much! I have my coupe and my pickup. Plus a 51 coupe rust bucket and enough parts to build a 40 plymouth pickup.

Ed, you can never have too much when it comes to old Mopars. Or maybe part with the '51? I say as a future POC president you need a convertible. Seriously, just do it. You could always sell them for what you paid. That convert would actually be a good parts car for someone doing another convertible project. Just do it!

Ed,

I think you should buy it too. They you and your new girlfriend could work on it together.:D

Seriously though, I don't think I would want to try and restore that thing. You'd have to believe in reincarnation to think you could do it at a reasonable cost. However, what would be neat is building it into a true 40's/50's style hot rod. Leave the front clip off, remove the rear fenders and just do the body. Paint the car in black primer, put some seats in it and call it a day. Leave the entire top off too, and lower it all the way around. Then you'd have a true 40's/50's style hot rod.:D:cool:

I have nothing against convertibles for other people, but I personally think the coupes are cooler than the convertibles. And, if you talk to some other people they will say 4 door cars are cooler. So.......as far as being cool, it all depends on who you talk to. Actually, on a real hot sunny day, I'd much rather have a roof over my head than sitting in a convertible with the sun beating down on my head. Plus, if it starts to rain I don't have to worry about putting the top up to keep dry.:)

Nothing beats a convert on a nice summer day driving around with the top down. And if its gets to be too hot you can always put the top up and open the rear window to get a lot of air that way. This convert is probably a little above my skill level too but I'm sure it could be restored. The guy who did my dads 51 did a p15 conv that was a lot worse then the one in the pic.

Looks like they've cut the cowl for some reason.....maybe tried to fit in a

V8. Tail lites have been replaced by round ones like a '50 Pontiac.

Looks like window frames and wiper bases are still there. May be

pitted, but are also unique items to the ragtop.

37fb_1.JPG

33bf_1.JPG

The convert that was done at the shop had coupe doors converted to convert ones. I think he cut the tops off the doors at the trim holes and welded the conv tops onto the coupe doors. Still would be quite the project

I believe the coupe that goes with this car is a club coupe looking at the back window. You would still have to find a trunk lid for the convertible from another convertible or from a business coupe. The plot thickens.

I know a guy who went to a farm auction and bought a P15 convert that

had been made into a sawmill. Yep, they cut off part of the rear end and

affixed a saw mechanism. The good news was -- all the top bows and

related items were still there. He had several ol Plyms saved out in

his back yard behind the hedge row. Can't recall if he had a biz coupe

for the correct fender parts and trunk.

Just curious - does the trailer come with it?

re: saw. I was out in the desert cruising back dirt roads and saw a 1941 Chevy biz coupe. It was up on blocks - not a dent, no rust. The ole guy that owned it took the rear wheel off and welded a drum to the drum of the drive wheel. There was a big belt from the drum to a saw. He would get in, put it in gear, pull the throttle and he had a saw. The only wear I could see was the front seat was worn out from him getting in and out. I told the guy I would buy him a new saw. Nope! He was happy with what he had.

He also had an old Chrysler don't remember the year but it too was spotless. The story was his kids were playing in the car and it had electric windows - a kid stuck his head out the window, another kid rolled up the window - the guy's wife made him park the car and get another. This sound so silly but he was an old prospector - they have a different value system. This was so long ago I don't think I could ever find the place. There are people that just pull their old cars off to the side and buy a new one. After 30 or 40 years while they may seem like a collector's item to us it's just an old used car to them.