Leaf springs

Hey, that gives me an idea to correct the listing to port on my 33 Plymouth.  Maybe I can find a taller shackle that would correct this condition.  I corrected this condition on a 40 Plymouth I owned by installing 1 air shock on the drivers side but this 33 Plymouth has the earlier lever action shocks. 

Thanks for your discovery !

1 hour ago, DollyDodge said:

Well I feel akin to a fool.. I started cleaning all the old grease off the ends of the springs getting ready to put the new ones on when they get here, and then I notice something, it was one of those oh s**t moments. The shackles are different sizes on the rear springs.. One is 4 inches center to center, the other 2 3/4 inches center to center.. I have greased thar truck on and off for over 40 years and never noticed that.. Some one a long time ago replaced one of the shackles with the incorrect shackle.  I probably bought springs I don't need.  Oh wel gotta laugh at one's self I guess, expensive boo boo though.

Some knucklehead put a jeep shackle on it!

In 1967 I had a 62 Merc Monteray convertible. Several of the Ford cars of that era had a long overhang from rear axle to rear .bumper . As a result the lower spring leaf was overly long and lost its arch, causing the rear of the car to sag. Not having much cash at the time, I search the salvage yards for good used ones, with no luck. Finally my Dad said" don't worry about it, we'll fix those" I had no idea what he meant. We jacked the rear of the Merc up, and removed one spring. He took it apart, wire brushed it off, layed the long lower leaf on its side on the concrete. Then with chalk, he traced the curvature of the leaf on the floor. The hoist stood 4 inches or so above the floor. He placed one end of the leaf on the hoist, the other resting on the floor. With the ball end of a large ball peen hammer, he started beating on the leaf. Striking it above the air gap between the hoist and the floor. He moved the leaf slightly between each hammer blow. Occasionally stopping to compare the leaf to the chalk line on the floor. After awhile, he said "that should do it". We assembled the spring and installed it on the Merc, then repeated on the other spring. I drove out of there grinning and the Merc had her butt in the air. Total cost to a young guy with no extra cash--- ZERO. Thanks again Dad.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Hey, that gives me an idea to correct the listing to port on my 33 Plymouth.  Maybe I can find a taller shackle that would correct this condition.  I corrected this condition on a 40 Plymouth I owned by installing 1 air shock on the drivers side but this 33 Plymouth has the earlier lever action shocks. 

Thanks for your discovery !

Very funny Reg. ...glad some good is coming from my boo boo

5 hours ago, Mike36 said:

In 1967 I had a 62 Merc Monteray convertible. Several of the Ford cars of that era had a long overhang from rear axle to rear .bumper . As a result the lower spring leaf was overly long and lost its arch, causing the rear of the car to sag. Not having much cash at the time, I search the salvage yards for good used ones, with no luck. Finally my Dad said" don't worry about it, we'll fix those" I had no idea what he meant. We jacked the rear of the Merc up, and removed one spring. He took it apart, wire brushed it off, layed the long lower leaf on its side on the concrete. Then with chalk, he traced the curvature of the leaf on the floor. The hoist stood 4 inches or so above the floor. He placed one end of the leaf on the hoist, the other resting on the floor. With the ball end of a large ball peen hammer, he started beating on the leaf. Striking it above the air gap between the hoist and the floor. He moved the leaf slightly between each hammer blow. Occasionally stopping to compare the leaf to the chalk line on the floor. After awhile, he said "that should do it". We assembled the spring and installed it on the Merc, then repeated on the other spring. I drove out of there grinning and the Merc had her butt in the air. Total cost to a young guy with no extra cash--- ZERO. Thanks again Dad.

I have re-arced a couple sets of my springs like that too. Hundreds of hammer blows later...:rolleyes: They worked and lasted well too.

I used an anvil to hammer on though.