Roadside carnage

Mark D

Coming home from my place in Maine today, took rt. 202 to avoid tolls, added 2 hours to an already four hour drive, but the road less traveled often offers more for the eye, and the garage. I happened across the better half of a Plymouth on my way through Winthrop Maine at a drive thru called fast eddies. Fish and chips was good, waitress was cute; I recommend the slow road as often as you can afford the time.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

We had a place in Winthrop, ME for 20 years.  Our place was on an island on Lake Maranacook.  We went to Fast Eddy's once or twice.  He also used to rent boats.  At one time he had an antique Hacker Craft that he claimed was one owned by a New York mob boss.  ... Interesting character.

Dave B

I've taken US 202 on some of my work adventures through Maine, it is indeed a nice drive.  One of the routes I take to get to Rangeley from Houlton goes through Winthrop, too.  That Fast Eddie's has a popular cruise night every Wednesday during the summer, at least it was Wednesday this summer.  Returning from a trip out there last month and passed the place one evening when the parking lot was pretty full of nice old cars, but didn't have time to stop for pictures.  There's only one highway in Maine (I-95), getting off the beaten path is pretty easy around here...whether you want to or not.