OT Some Auto trans ??? some of you guys are running 700r4's

greg g

On my other project I will be running a Chevy 700r4 trans. the radaitor I got is a V8 radiator but not for automatic. I will be plumbing a air to air oil cooler that I got a a swap meet. about 6 X 9 and three rows deep. Wondering if this will be suffiecient. I read somewhere that the radiator being a fluid to fluid exchanger is more effective. but this has a lot more exchange area. Any opinions? I understand heat is one of the things that 700's don't deal with well.

I would think a seperate trans cooler is better. In theory, the radiator cooler would bring the trans temp down to engine temp while an add on cooler is subject to outside temp. It is also important to get the cable adjusted correctly on a 700r4 & 200 4r, if it isn't adjusted correctly you will burn the trans up.

I am running a 700R4 and no radiator cooler, however not enough time on the car to tell if I am going to have any problems. My cooler is about 8X8 and mounted in front of the radiator. I have a few hundred miles on the unit and no trips with the trailer. I do love the OD. Unfortunately I put in a non lock up torque converter. It is one I had for the jeep and never used, now I do not want to pull the engine to change the converter. I hope with enough cooling it should work well.

kai

Greg..most of these coolers are designed to run in conjunction with the tranny cooler. However many models are available for stand alone use...yours may be one of them...there are also small prefilters that can be placed ahead of the cooler inlet..suggested...then keep an eye on the color and odor of the oil..if the oil starts getting sign of dark color or burnt smell..find an alternate radiator..Summit has some very inexpensive all welded aluminum models with internal coolers...now would be a good time to design your front metal around one of these.